April 27, 2024, 09:15:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: question about body language  (Read 17764 times)

Offline Black_Forest

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
question about body language
« on: March 06, 2008, 11:53:47 AM »
Hi,
I would like to ask you to help me to understand what does say the body language in the following pictures,
Are there some feelings between the people in the pictures?
can we say are they in a relations?
Thank you!

thank you for reply!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 12:40:21 PM by Oxygenne »
Without adventure civilization is in full decay.
- Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: question about body language
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 12:08:47 PM »
I'm chronically bad at this sort of thing, but I'll jump in anyway, before the more astute people fill my head with good conclusions :P:

The male on the left has adopted "Standard arm around shoulder for picture" pose in each case, I read nothing more than that.

Picture # 1: the lady is in "Standard protect the purse while in holiday" pose, that tells me nothing about her relationship to the man.

Picture # 2: the pose of their left hands make me suspect they're nervous, probably because they're nearly late for the cruise, or there was a "Keep off the rocks" sign they ignored for the photo, or something like that.

Picture # 3: i dunno, hand in pocket, because she's cold?

I'm pretty bad at body language.

Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 12:27:02 PM »
Is it just me or is this a creepy post.

Yes with pictures like these it would be logical to assume they are dating or married and on vacation.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline Black_Forest

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 12:36:23 PM »
sorry, if you do not like my post but i am just interested about this subject and i need some other opinions then mine.
thank you!
Without adventure civilization is in full decay.
- Alfred North Whitehead

Offline PaulMAC

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 06:12:38 PM »
Am I missing something ? Where are the pictures you want us to see ?  ???

Hi,
I would like to ask you to help me to understand what does say the body language in the following pictures,
Are there some feelings between the people in the pictures?
can we say are they in a relations?
Thank you!

thank you for reply!

Offline Polleke

• Mole Snacks: +10/-12
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 08:03:45 AM »
yeah, same here: I do not see any pictures ???

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 08:15:28 AM »

PaulMAC: and Polleke:, can you use the dates and comments to figure out what happened?

Offline PaulMAC

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 03:24:37 AM »
To be honest, it is rather fuzzy. The thread-starter wanted somebody else's opinion regarding the pictures, but, now they're(pics) gone already ?

How did the pics look like ? (If I may ask?)

PaulMAC: and Polleke:, can you use the dates and comments to figure out what happened?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 07:28:21 AM »
I can relate, there's something about a mystery ...

OK, you've got your basic 3 photos of a man and a woman, posing like they're on holiday.  Their faces are obscured, by cutting them out of the photo.   The question was, as I saw it, what conclusions could we draw about their body language.

I figured, the original poster had a Psychology 101 assignment to figure it out, and was given some anonymous photos or is writing an assignment and has made some anonimized home photos.  But I can't really exclude agrobert:'s supposition -- that this might not have been with the photo subject's consent.  That point of view elicits one response from the O.P., and then the links are pulled.

There are some descriptions in my post of their poses.  As another example, IIRC, in the last photo the lady's feet were crossed.  Now what does standing like that mean?  I don't know, don't really care either.  But body language experts can pull amazing conclusions from the simplest of body positions, so I was expecting a flood of conclusions.  I was curious about this topic when I was a kid, but nowadays, these sorts of things seem borderline nonscientific.

I hope this was a Psych 101 experiment.  At least, with all these follow-up posts to an empty question, the O.P. is learning something about human nature.

'Tho I half expected to see the photos again, without the faces obliterated, and find out they're a man and a woman playacting the other gender-role.  But so what, professional actors do that all the time.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:47:20 AM by Arkcon »

Offline PaulMAC

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 07:39:56 PM »
Well,thanks for the elaboration. Now I have also read the comments in another light ...

Personal I think it gets rather creepier ... cut out faces ? Come on !

From what you tell I suspect the following scenario's:

A.) Psych 101 experiment ? This seems the most benign, but rather farfetched. Why here, and on this forum and not a more appropriate one ?

B.) The thread-starter is somebody ELSE then the pictured and wants to know what is going on between them. He(she?) has access to personal pics, but can't / won't / is not able to directly ask them what is going on ... This seems to make thread-starter a stalker. Is he a meddling family-member or a rival ? Or silently pining for one of the pictured ...

C.) The thread-starter is someone IN the picture and can't / won't / is not able to directly ask the other person what is going on between them ...  ? This seems to turn thread-starter into a unbelievable autistic person. He(she?) doesn't know his own or the other person's feelings ???

It would be nice if thread-starter would react himself, aren't you notified when somebody reacts ?

Btw: What's with the "Cruise"-aspect in your comments, was the sea visible or (parts of) a ship in the pics ? 

I can relate, there's something about a mystery ...

OK, you've got your basic 3 photos of a man and a woman, posing like they're on holiday.  Their faces are obscured, by cutting them out of the photo.   The question was, as I saw it, what conclusions could we draw about their body language.

I figured, the original poster had a Psychology 101 assignment to figure it out, and was given some anonymous photos or is writing an assignment and has made some anonimized home photos.  But I can't really exclude agrobert:'s supposition -- that this might not have been with the photo subject's consent.  That point of view elicits one response from the O.P., and then the links are pulled.

There are some descriptions in my post of their poses.  As another example, IIRC, in the last photo the lady's feet were crossed.  Now what does standing like that mean?  I don't know, don't really care either.  But body language experts can pull amazing conclusions from the simplest of body positions, so I was expecting a flood of conclusions.  I was curious about this topic when I was a kid, but nowadays, these sorts of things seem borderline nonscientific.

I hope this was a Psych 101 experiment.  At least, with all these follow-up posts to an empty question, the O.P. is learning something about human nature.

'Tho I half expected to see the photos again, without the faces obliterated, and find out they're a man and a woman playacting the other gender-role.  But so what, professional actors do that all the time.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 08:04:38 PM »
Well,thanks for the elaboration. Now I have also read the comments in another light ...

Personal I think it gets rather creepier ... cut out faces ? Come on !

From what you tell I suspect the following scenario's:

A.) Psych 101 experiment ? This seems the most benign, but rather farfetched. Why here, and on this forum and not a more appropriate one ?

I still think that's pretty plausible.  Back in the '70's there were tons of books on this topic, people sitting in chairs, legs crossed, not crossed, arms held a certain way, touching their ears, playing with their hair, all sorts of information you were supposed to process. 

It was even done on me when I was in grammar school.  I'd be in a meeting outside of class, I'd do a tiny affectation, and the counselors would immediately zoom in on it.  That was quite annoying, I tend to make compulsive movements with my hands (like, if I touch one, I have to touch them all, and it ends up looking quite strange to other people.)

Hmmm.  For someone who isn't very skilled in reading body language, and who has a history of not enjoying being read, I sure know a lot about the topic, don't I?  I was thinking it's funny this sort of thing has died out since the '70's, maybe it was all just a way to find a cheap thrill back then, and that's become passé since AIDS.

Offline redskytonight820

• Mole Snacks: +6/-3
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 10:43:01 PM »
believe it or not.. i've never had this kind of "body language" subject ever cross my life in either education or just conversation...

I must be too young :(... or too not-in-the-loop... maybe my friends and i are just losers

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 03:08:42 PM »
Hey! less of the autistic comments Paulmac, 'unbelievable' ?

That meant to imply we are all liars?

The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline PaulMAC

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 05:29:55 AM »
Ummh ..., no Chicken, in this context (and I thought this was obvious) 'unbelievable autistic' meant `incredible autistic`, to elaborate: the thread-starter could not interpret fairly straightforward body-language. Of course, I never saw the pics, and have to rely on Arkcon's descriptions. 

Regarding the Psych 101 experiment-idea, I do believe this is actually a science. But in this situation I tend to go with the more cynical explanation ...

I still think thread-starter should give an explanation ... (unless he/she is chuckling from a distance, and *that* is the experiment .. Psych 102, so to say, I think Arkcon mentioned something like this already)

Ciao

Hey! less of the autistic comments Paulmac, 'unbelievable' ?

That meant to imply we are all liars?

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
's'okies Paul, I just wasn't sure, in a stress, not long woken up when I typed that response out.

Body language is a pain in the arse, I'm not brilliant at reading body language, I had to study it before I could understand it at all, on the plus side, the attention to detail, and autie culture, just rocks 8)
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Sponsored Links