April 28, 2024, 02:09:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: hydrogen sulfide polarity question  (Read 7391 times)

Offline chay722

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
hydrogen sulfide polarity question
« on: March 06, 2008, 05:10:02 PM »
Which property of hydrogen sulfide gas is least closely related to the polarity of its molecules?
a) molar mass
b) solubility in water
c) critical temperature
d) normal boiling point
e) elasticity of molecular collisions

I don't see how critical temperature would have anything to do with the polarity, so would choice c be correct? Thanks for any help.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: hydrogen sulfide polarity question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 05:15:56 PM »
Really?
You do not think that the transitions from various phases at various pressures and temperatures has anything to do with the electronegativity?

If you can rule out D, how can you not rule out C?

In short, try again. And you now know two incorrect answers!

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 05:18:34 PM »
I say (c) is not the correct answer.

Physical properties are dependent on the nature of the entire molecule, and are only marginally dependent on the actual atoms involved - except to the extent that the particular bonding pattern of those constituent atoms will affect physical properties.

One of the answers is only dependent on the actual atoms involved and has nothing to do with the molecule as a whole.  Because it has nothing to do with the molecule as a whole (or the way those atoms are arranged), it will have the least to do with polarity.

Note: all 5 answers may have varying relationships with the molecule's polarity; however, one answer clearly has the least to do with polarity.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline chay722

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 05:19:52 PM »
Well I would assume its choice E then because I know that if something dissolves in water you can tell if its polar or not and I believe molar mass would affect it as well because the more massive the molecules...so yeah. Is this correct? I appreciate the help.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 05:25:49 PM »
because the more massive the molecules...

That is an incorrect assumption.  Very massive molecules can easily be dissolved in water, depending on functional groups - see here for example (note one Da (dalton) equals one amu)

(e) is also incorrect, imho
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline chay722

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 05:31:26 PM »
I don't understand how molar mass could affect the polarity the least?

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 05:37:45 PM »
I don't understand how molar mass could affect the polarity the least

One, that's not exactly what the question asked - the question was asked in the opposite direction: polarity is related to which property the least.

Two, molar mass is simply the arithmetic sum of the constituent atoms and their atomic mass (which is a weighted average of isotopes, but that's a conversation for another post).  Being just a numerical sum, it has little, if anything to do with any physical property, except mass (and perhaps density, but I'm not familiar with everything that goes into density.)

How would you suggest molecular mass relates to polarity?  The mass of insulin which I linked to is some 5,000 gmol-1.  Proteins are usually only soluble in water (at least only soluble and able to adopt their active conformation).  If they weren't soluble in water, our cells would die from the clogging of precipitated proteins, and our bodies would have to find a new way to function fast.

All I'm trying to say is molar mass is not a valid indicator of polarity - or to rephrase to fit in line with the wording of the question - polarity is related to molar mass the least.

Sponsored Links