April 18, 2024, 07:26:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solvation vs. Dissolving  (Read 8309 times)

Offline Skiznibbler

• Mole Snacks: +1/-4
Solvation vs. Dissolving
« on: March 07, 2008, 07:18:21 PM »
Whats the difference between "solvating" and "dissolving"? I read that solvation is also called dissolution. Is dissolution just the process of dissolving? If I add salt to water I would be dissolving the salt in the water. Would I also be solvating the salt in the water or would I be solvating the water with salt?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Solvation vs. Dissolving
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »
I think "solvate" meas a chemical reaction occurs to make something dissolve, whereas "dissolve" or "dissolution" is a physical process.  T

To tell the truth, I used "solvate" as a synonym for "dissolve", and my supervisors came back to me with a, "Arkcon, you want to just write "dissolve" next time, okay, you're going to confuse auditors."  Heh.  Kinda embarrassing, really.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 08:02:14 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Skiznibbler

• Mole Snacks: +1/-4
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 07:49:39 PM »
Thanks. What do you mean supervisors? At work?

I'm literally a few pages into the first chapter of Organic Chemistry by Clayden and I'm looking new terms and concepts up on wikipedia every 2 minutes. This is by far the most detailed and interesting chemistry book I've come across. It keeps giving examples of chemicals that fit the criteria of different concepts along the way so I'm learning about all sorts of individual chemicals along the way. They mentioned the chemical called polythene which is pretty interesting. Its a polymer which consists solely of a straight hydrocarbon chain. Have you read this book Arkcon? If so do you think it will provide me with all the chemistry knowledge I'd need to get through the first year of organic chemistry in university?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:01:51 PM »
Thanks. What do you mean supervisors? At work?

Yes.  Hence the embarrassment.  I went around asking people, would you ever say "solubilize?" And they'd say, "Is the even a word?"  "Oh, of course not guys, I make up chemical terms every day, and try to work them into daily conversations."  But maybe I do get a little pedantic, sometimes.  No.  Really.  Don't all disagree at once.

Have you read this book Arkcon? If so do you think it will provide me with all the chemistry knowledge I'd need to get through the first year of organic chemistry in university?

I never refuse to teach anyone I meet everything I know about chemistry.  What's that gonna take me, 10 - 15 minutes, tops?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links