March 29, 2024, 09:14:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Explaination for gravimeteric analysis experiement  (Read 6552 times)

Offline chaneliman

• Mole Snacks: +1/-9
Explaination for gravimeteric analysis experiement
« on: March 07, 2008, 08:40:30 PM »
In an experiment to find the proportion of sulfate in a brand of fertiliser why was hydrochloride acid added to the filtrate  and why were drops of barium chloride added?  :)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Explaination for gravimeteric analysis experiement
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 09:30:49 PM »
Can you write a couple of reactions for us?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline chaneliman

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:33:41 PM »
Ba2+ (aq) +    So4 2+(aq)  = BaSO4(s)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 09:39:44 PM »
Great, now, how does a sulfate assay work again?  What were your other steps, not outlined in the description, that is.

Offline chaneliman

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:22:22 PM »
the steps are on http://resources.mhs.vic.edu.au/chemistry/year12/3pracproc.pdf its the first experiment

Offline chaneliman

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 06:52:42 AM »
my prac can be found at http://resources.mhs.vic.edu.au/che... , its this first and thrid prac (we're doing a combined prac, how fun).
Why does the precipitate need to be washed?
Why was an excess of barium chloride solution added?
Why must the precipitate be heated to constant mass?
List two reasons why barium sulfate is a suitable product in this gravimetric anaysis?

Also, i noe the observation part of the prac is usually one of the most easily parts to write, but for this prac i just don't noe wot 2 write. i mean there wasn't that much to observe except for the colour change and weight change, which is already in my results section. Wot do u think i should note? Thanks

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 09:28:35 AM »
Kindly don't just link to online labs.  That hardly counts as work on your part.  FWIW, I've done gravimetric analysis in an industrial setting, so the setup is pretty trivial to me.  If you'd taken the time to paraphrase your procedure for us, you might have been able to answer some of your own questions.

As in your previous question, http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=23221.msg88318#msg88318 there are little to no hints I can give you.  Either you've gleaned the basic concepts and specific facts outlined in your analytical chemistry text and class notes, or I'd just end up giving the answers away. For example ...

Why does the precipitate need to be washed?
Why was an excess of barium chloride solution added?
Why must the precipitate be heated to constant mass?
List two reasons why barium sulfate is a suitable product in this gravimetric anaysis?

Can you try to give some ideas for the first three questions?  Then, can you combine those answers into the answer for the last one?

Also, i noe the observation part of the prac is usually one of the most easily parts to write, but for this prac i just don't noe wot 2 write. i mean there wasn't that much to observe except for the colour change and weight change, which is already in my results section. Wot do u think i should note? Thanks

0h, dud3, 1 t0t4lly s33 wh4t y0u m34n.  7h3r3 4r3 0ƒ (0µr$3 £1m174710n$ 70 7h3 0b$3rv4710n$ ¥0µ (4n m4|{3. 0ƒ (0µr$3, 17'$ r34££¥ 4££ µp 70 ¥0µ.

Heh, OK, you also wanted to know why HCl was added to the filtrate.  What can you tell us about the properties of chlorides, in general?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 11:38:58 AM »
chaneliman: in case you have not understood Arckon irony, please read forum rules. Point 5.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links