Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Balance  (Read 4265 times)

Offline marebare

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
Balance
« on: March 08, 2008, 01:59:05 PM »
OK IM TRYING TO BALACE THIS EQUATION,

Ca(HCO3)2 ------> CO2 +H2O + CaCO3

so i just put a 1 in front of CO2? also does anyone know what the parentheses mean?

Offline MitchTwitchita

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: Balance
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »
This equation already looks balanced to me.  The number 1 is never used in front of a species because if there is no number, the number of moles is assumed to be 1.  Also the parentheses means that that everything inside must be multiplied by (in this case) the valence of calcium.  Hope that helps some.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 02:35:03 PM »
Yes, you can put a 1 in front of them all, the equation is 1:1 throughout.  Lucky you :)

As for the parentheses, they indicate that a collection of atoms is bound to a central atom more than once in an identical fashion.  see attachment for a visual explanation.

Edit by Borek: picture modified so that it can be viewed, tiff was not good selection of graphic format. In general on the web use gif, png or jpg (although jpg is of no use here).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 02:59:24 PM by Borek »
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 03:07:38 PM »
Group of atoms in parentheses should be taken number of times indicated by index after closing parenthesis. So Ca(HCO3)2 is equivalent to CaH2C2O6. However, notation with parentheses is prefered, as it gives much more information about the molecule. Every chemist will immediately recognize HCO3- as hydrogen carbonate and Ca(HCO3)2 as calcium hydrogen carbonate, I doubt anybody will see this compound in CaH2C2O6 without much more effort.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:46:23 PM »
tiff was not good selection of graphic format

Didn't know that - I thought it was better than jpg, actually.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll stop using tiffs :)
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Sponsored Links