April 20, 2024, 06:50:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Job postings etc.  (Read 70303 times)

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
Job postings etc.
« on: March 11, 2008, 05:08:23 AM »
I used to like to come to CF in a morning and check out the new topics from overnight postings.  However this has changed recently as most of them are now US job listings posted by one particular person.  If I wanted to find a job in the USA I'd go to monster.com etc etc.  If I want to read loads and loads of old jokes again I'd go to a different website. 

Do you really want to allow this site that to change into a bad joke and  job listing site?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Job postings etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 05:27:14 AM »
I am supporting DrCMS opinion
AWK

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:24:13 AM »
The bad jokes I can take or leave.  But I'm currently unemployed, and so the job postings are very interesting to me as a general concept, even if the ideal job hasn't been posted for me, I might still come across a good one.  And Monster.com is really only useful to 419 spammers, the small selective community here may pose an advantage to the job seeker.  Do you really relish the myriad of other posts-- "I need some chmical to burn the hands of those people touching my signs"  or  "Help me plz 111, I dnt no what MORLARINITY iz. LOL LOL LOL My test is in 5 minz"?

*[EDIT]*

Somewhat related, this board has an Ignore function, presumably that only works for PM, or does it block the visibility of posts or responses as well?  I can't tell, I never wanted to block anyone's posts on this board that badly.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline chrisbb

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 09:48:48 AM »
I'm an undergrad that is looking for jobs in Canada. I have another year before I graduate. Is it likely that you could find a job a whilst still being an undergrad?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:16:34 AM »
I'm an undergrad that is looking for jobs in Canada. I have another year before I graduate. Is it likely that you could find a job a whilst still being an undergrad?

Well, just now you've kinda threadjacked, but I'm too keen to help, so ...

I'd start with checking out your university's resources for new graduates, they may be glad to see someone with a keen interest to start early, and employer's may be keeping a relationship with them for future openings.

You can also try career fairs, meet with recruiters, and tell when you'll be available.  They'll keep your resume around, and you can get their business card, and contact them again when you graduate.

For that matter, you can even apply now to the online job sources.  What I'd noticed is a least a 2 week lag between my search start and responses from employers, and sometimes a 3-4 months lag.  Often offers start to flood in, just weeks after I've found a job, after of few months of silence.  ('Course, that's not happening to me this time, to my chagrin.)  So definitely begin 3-4 months before graduation.

Another tip, search the job websites, but don't apply to the openings.  Find the company name, go to the company website, and see if there's way to submit your resume online without selecting a particular opportunity.  They'll store it in their database and then will get in touch when they have a fit.  You can tell the hiring manager when they call that you'll be available at such and such a date, and then get back in contact at that time for that position or another one.

FWIW, there was a one year lag between my graduation and my first position.  But then, in those days, there wasn't global access to the internet, just what I could find in the want ads.  Pretty illogical that that would even work at all, but it did.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 11:40:27 AM by Arkcon »

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 10:16:58 AM »
Dear DrCMS, Dear Mr. AWK;

I feel very, very empathy with you, because it is not the only ‘Function’ that’s highly battered from it.
(Sorry!  Dear Arkcon.)

All these kinds of postings have very rarely any thing to do with knowledge, guidance, or with the “Socratic Method/Principal of Learning” (see Forum Rules).

Maybe they should be handled like the sources the most come from, the “news papers”:
As soon as they are outdated (mostly already ‘tomorrow’!), they are thrown away.
Even - any kind of splitting would be better to keep the Forums Topic (= like a separate ‘Bourse’).

Dear Arkcon;
Since a couple of weeks I realised your bad situation, and I think there are many others ‘searching’ for an adequate job!
I also know that everybody and all may discuss about the exclusivity of the presented jobs yet.
(I would also not be unhappy to know the best one for you.)

But I also believe this ‘problem’ must be solved in one or the other kind.
Why in your, also most other, case, not “Turn the knife”?  - Have a Topic or a sub-board (with a button “Jobs” on all Forum pages, but not influencing the noted ‘Functions’ or the ‘Search’ button, where you also are able to present you with a few!!! Keywords/Features and Wishes.  
And as a Thank you to the Forums you delete your entry on this sub-board, as soon as you got your luck?

Such, or similar, could be a benefit for all.

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 05:05:45 PM »
One thing that helps is to go to the humor and jobs forums, hit the "mark read" button on those forums, and then go back to recent unread posts.  It takes a little longer, but it helps eliminate some of the messages that aren't useful to me.

But I agree with DrCMS.  I don't think the primary purpose of this website is humor or job listings.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 05:18:49 PM »
One thing that helps is to go to the humor and jobs forums, hit the "mark read" button on those forums, and then go back to recent unread posts.

We can do that?  I had no clue at all that was possible.  What else don't I know about this forum software?  That is a big help.

Offline ARGOS++

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 06:48:17 PM »

Dear Yggdrasil;

Sorry!,    —  Is that not only “one-fifth” of a solution, and if at all, a quite inconvenient too?

For example, when I ‘entered’ this morning, only about 8 - 10 postings of the whole amount of 10 Pages “Recent Topics” differed from Jobs and ‘Humour’.
Can it be our goal for the future to see only the last 8 - 10 relevant Questions und Answers given during the whole night? You may remember for this, that’s not for everyone at the same time night or day, as maybe for you.

The only good thing at your solution seems to be, that “Mark Read” (MR) looks like it’s staying still active, when you login again.
But if I not login first at the morning the Filter will not be active when I select the MR Function, and that’s for sure not only for me very inconvenient.

Apropos:  I believe there are much better und also more - more successful methods to motivate Visitors to get their Registration, than that. If I remember correctly then I mentioned a small one once before.

Of course it’s all time better then nothing!   —
But can nearly nothing  -  be ever enough?

Kind Regards
                          ARGOS++

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:56:58 PM »
One thing that helps is to go to the humor and jobs forums, hit the "mark read" button on those forums, and then go back to recent unread posts.  It takes a little longer, but it helps eliminate some of the messages that aren't useful to me.

Who-hoo, just tried it.  It works great.   This is much better now.  I really should have been focusing on that page first anyway, as I am looking, then, go off and play on the High School Chemistry questions.

To be truthful, after I first arrived, I though I'd concentrate only on Questions for Grad Students and Professionals.  But, there aren't many of those, and they're not often smarter or more thought provoking than the High School questions. 

'Tho I wish the people with totally off the wall ideas would stick to Citizen Chemist, but they probably don't realize that forum is there when they Google to this board.

Offline ARGOS++

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »

Dear Yggdrasil, Dear Arkcon;

Why is it working for you?     Does the Forum(s) know a Two-Class Membership?

After several tries I have to tell that IT does not work, at least not for somebody like me!!!!!

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 09:06:06 PM »

Dear Yggdrasil, Dear Arkcon;

Why is it working for you?     Does the Forum(s) know a Two-Class Membership?

After several tries I have to tell that IT does not work, at least not for somebody like me!!!!!

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

I haven't tried it myself, but make sure you do a heard refresh "ctrl-shift-refresh" of the unread posts page.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline ARGOS++

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 09:19:42 PM »

Dear Mitch;

I refreshed the pages correctly, because all times the newest postings appeared correctly and in time!
(I’m programming myself a lot.)

See in the Attachments the status line, which shows the “command” in case you “fly” with the mouse over the corresponding button (after a dozen tries on several different “Recent Posting” Pages.)

There must (it seems so) be something dubious.

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 10:49:05 PM »
Works fine.  But still annoying.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 04:15:06 AM »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links