April 24, 2024, 09:46:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Good Organic Chemistry Books  (Read 452153 times)

Offline renge ishyo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-14
Re: Good Organic Chemistry Books
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2010, 03:03:43 PM »
how about L.G Wade Organic Chemistry textbook
Juz give comments on it

I've read the Organic Chemistry text by L.G. Wade (6th edition) cover to cover, and it is a very good text. Very clear and easy to read for the most part. The second half of the book contains a few minor errors in places, but by then you pretty much know what is going on, so it doesn't detract too much. The best thing about the book is its "mechanism" boxes. All the major mechanisms in the book are separated out from the rest of the text into a list of mechanisms and "key mechanisms" (which the author believes are the most important ones) in the table of contents. So if you want to use the book as a reference after reading it once through, you can just jump to these boxes to get a refresher without having to dig for the mechanisms in the various chapters. That feature alone, I like very much. I haven't seen the 7th edition at all, so I can't comment on it.

Offline Phenyl Ethilamine

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2010, 01:53:49 PM »
I am preparing for the International Mendeleev Chemistry Olympiad. However, in my country, Chemistry is not a subject on which many time is spent, as on maths, but simply I have great wish to participate in this reputable and exceedingly difficult olympiad, as I am the national chemistry champion. So if anyone knows some useful hints, I am very eagar to listen to them. The material enquired for the olympiad includes physical, analythical, organic, inorganic chemistry as well as life science. I kindly begg someone who has experience with this types of olympiads to help me, because I can't stand people saying chemistry is too hard and worths nothing. Chemistry is beautiful and challenging, and people think maths is better because in our country, we study chemistry from 7th, and maths from 1st grade. I once again appeal to everyone's support in theory as much as you could. You already have my gratitude for reading this post.

Offline quantumpanda

« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2010, 12:36:01 AM »
After reading through this thread and seeing the many opinions on Carey and Sundberg, I have a question: dryness/writing style aside, is Carey and Sundberg a good and comprehensive adv. organic text? Are there any specific gaps in its coverage? Essentially, if I work through part A and B cover-to-cover, will I have learned the equivalent of a typical undergraduate "Advanced Org. Chem" class?

I have Carey and Sundberg right now, and don't want to buy another book (poor college student!) I don't have room in my schedule for Advanced Organic at the moment, but I really want to learn the material and understand more of the literature! So any information would be appreciated.

Offline StarvinMarvin

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +5/-6
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2010, 04:25:12 PM »
Guys, I need your take on this subject.

I'm thinking of upgrading my personal library by a solid reference work on name reactions. I've been thinking about buying any of those three positions:

1) B. Mundy, M. Ellerd, F. Favaloro "Name reactions and reagents in organic synthesis"
2) L. Kurti, B. Czako "Strategic applications of named reactions in organic synthesis"
3) J. Li "Name reactions: a collection of detailed mechanisms".

Since this position would serve me mostly as a reference material to primary publications, but also as a revision tool, several factors are of strategic importance when it comes to choosing the book:
- amount and variety of references to primary publications
- clarity of mechanisms drawn
- spectrum of the subject covered (how many name reactions and reagents are there in the book, applications in total synthesis, examples, variations etc.)

Price-wise all three of those books cost about the same amount of money, but I can't decide which one to buy. My library has only the first position which I already held in my hands, but if you have any of those books I would be glad if you could share some thoughts about them which could help me make my decision. As I am on a budget (Ph.D students have it tough) I can only afford one of those books. So, I'm looking fora position that is the most comprehensive of all.

I know that Z. Wang is publishing a 4 volume set on name reactions this year and that book would be THE MOST comprehensive book of all, but according to Wiley the price of that beauty would be around 400 pounds (which is way out of my range).

So' I think I'm down to those three possibilities. Please let me know, which one would be the best choice in your opinion.

Offline asdaf7477

« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2010, 06:26:39 PM »
Clayden Greeves and Warren Organic Chemistry is a godsend!

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2010, 08:34:49 PM »
I haven't taken an organic chemistry class so I don't have a complete, rigorous approach to evaluating these books, but I found Solomons good from what I read of it. I thought the authors were arrogant but their approach to showing mechanisms is very good.

The organic chemistry as a second language books are also good, but the second one is a lot better.

I do highly recommend both, but it's also all I've used heavily.

Offline MissPhosgene

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +23/-5
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2010, 08:36:02 PM »
My votes go with The Classics in Total Synthesis volumes 1 and 2 (Nicolaou), Advanced Organic Chemistry Part B (Carey & Sundberg), and The Way of Synthesis (Reed).

Thumbs down to The Logic Of Chemical Synthesis (Corey).
Stereograms of the 32 crystallographic point groups: little bike wheels of cold, hard, pure rationality.

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
« Reply #127 on: June 01, 2010, 04:01:24 PM »
I was using McMurry a few days ago and I thought it had really solid end of the chapter problems. I didn't actually go through the chapters themselves but the problems were solid - much, much better than Solomons.

Offline SVXX

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
  • The Bleh
    • My Twitter Page
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2010, 07:08:59 AM »
What about Solomons and Fryhle Organic Chemistry(Wiley)? It's pretty good for beginners and advanced readers alike...atleast how I found it!
Organic Mania

Offline a student

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2010, 03:47:15 AM »
Does anyone know of any website that sells an array of 2nd hand used textbooks?like L.G Wade, Brown Foote,march

and also old versions of some softwares like Gaussian, matlab and ... :-\

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2010, 01:00:44 AM »
Can anyone offer opinions on the following texts?

Anslyn, Physical Organic Chemistry.

or

Vollhardt, Organic Chemistry.

Thank you

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2010, 10:10:52 PM »
I'm double posting but this is about something totally different.

I bought the Intro organic book by warren, clayden, greeves and wothers and it comes an astonishing amount of material. It's well formatted and is well presented.

But am I the only one who thinks it's riddled with errors?

Offline helenn

• Mole Snacks: +6/-1
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2010, 05:27:31 AM »
I don't know why you'd ask that question in this thread, but THF is tetrahydrofuran.

Offline vehans

« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2010, 10:22:13 PM »
I have taken the full organic chem courses (two courses in community college) offered for transferring to a university with a chem major. I'm fairly good at the subject and enjoy it too much lol. I've recently ordered the two part Carey & Richard books, now i want to learn independently (as much as I can) from them; does anyone remember/know which chapters/parts of the book they went over in university?

Thank you!

Offline MissPhosgene

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +23/-5
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2010, 07:49:54 PM »
I have taken the full organic chem courses (two courses in community college) offered for transferring to a university with a chem major. I'm fairly good at the subject and enjoy it too much lol. I've recently ordered the two part Carey & Richard books, now i want to learn independently (as much as I can) from them; does anyone remember/know which chapters/parts of the book they went over in university?

Thank you!

Read all the chapters
Stereograms of the 32 crystallographic point groups: little bike wheels of cold, hard, pure rationality.

Sponsored Links