April 16, 2024, 02:27:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Good Organic Chemistry Books  (Read 451581 times)

Offline KingB5194

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Good Organic Chemistry Books
« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2012, 08:05:50 PM »
Title: organic chemistry demystified
Author:daniel r bloch
It is very good for highschool chemistry classes

Offline Rutherford

• Mole Snacks: +60/-29
« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2012, 11:32:21 AM »
http://books.google.rs/books/about/Organic_Chemistry.html?id=1t0yfXTguk4C&redir_esc=y
Is this a good practice book for beginners (highschool level)?

emily12

Offline zyj

• Very New Member
« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2012, 01:30:28 PM »
Has anyone read Frank C. Whitmore's Organic Chemistry books? The author seems like a pretty good chemist, but are his books any good?

Offline 123456789

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #169 on: August 12, 2012, 10:03:22 AM »
Hello, Also about Organic Chem textbooks.

I currently have access to Clayden's Organic chemistry, McMurray 8th edition, David Klein's new organic chemistry textbook and Morrison (Don't really know what edition).

Trying to self study Organic chemistry, (currently 10th grade and my teacher doesn't teach much...) so which one would you recommend that I read (as a beginner)? Which one is easier to understand? From what I know Clayden's is good but rather difficult to understand.

I have the solution book for Clayden and Mcmurray, but not the Klein one. I would suppose it's important that can make references to the answers sometimes.

And my target is to complete maybe 3/4 of the book in 4-6months? (if that's possible...do you think so?)

Thanks lots!

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #170 on: August 12, 2012, 02:39:23 PM »
Hello, Also about Organic Chem textbooks.

I currently have access to Clayden's Organic chemistry, McMurray 8th edition, David Klein's new organic chemistry textbook and Morrison (Don't really know what edition).

Trying to self study Organic chemistry, (currently 10th grade and my teacher doesn't teach much...) so which one would you recommend that I read (as a beginner)? Which one is easier to understand? From what I know Clayden's is good but rather difficult to understand.

I have the solution book for Clayden and Mcmurray, but not the Klein one. I would suppose it's important that can make references to the answers sometimes.

And my target is to complete maybe 3/4 of the book in 4-6months? (if that's possible...do you think so?)

Thanks lots!

I am not familiar with Klein, but I think I know what books you mean by the other two. These are more university-level books, so perhaps at Grade 10 they may be a little above your level (no disrespect meant). I'd certainly think that "completing 75% of the book in 4-6 months" might be a little difficult, even if you studied little else - as far as I know Clayden is recommended for years of degree student here, even if it's just as a background reader.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2012, 12:55:27 AM »

Trying to self study Organic chemistry, (currently 10th grade and my teacher doesn't teach much...) so which one would you recommend that I read (as a beginner)?

… to complete maybe 3/4 of the book in 4-6months? (if that's possible...do you think so?)

In that case, I'd suggest my book, A Guide to Organic Chemistry Mechanisms. If you are thinking of going through a college text on your own, then begin by skipping that step, well not entirely. Learning organic chemistry has two parts, one is about the static issues of nomenclature, conformation, spectroscopy, etc. Although they can be trying, virtually all students succeed in these topics. The 900 lb gorilla is reactions. This is where I think my book excels. The way it is written, it is easy to succeed. It has its drawbacks as well (contact me, and I'll tell you about them), but it is modestly priced, and you can complete the entire book in one to two months, depending upon your diligence.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline 123456789

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2012, 06:24:48 AM »

I am not familiar with Klein, but I think I know what books you mean by the other two. These are more university-level books, so perhaps at Grade 10 they may be a little above your level (no disrespect meant). I'd certainly think that "completing 75% of the book in 4-6 months" might be a little difficult, even if you studied little else - as far as I know Clayden is recommended for years of degree student here, even if it's just as a background reader.

In that case, I'd suggest my book, A Guide to Organic Chemistry Mechanisms. If you are thinking of going through a college text on your own, then begin by skipping that step, well not entirely. Learning organic chemistry has two parts, one is about the static issues of nomenclature, conformation, spectroscopy, etc. Although they can be trying, virtually all students succeed in these topics. The 900 lb gorilla is reactions. This is where I think my book excels. The way it is written, it is easy to succeed. It has its drawbacks as well (contact me, and I'll tell you about them), but it is modestly priced, and you can complete the entire book in one to two months, depending upon your diligence.

Okay, thank you! I think it will be a bit hard to buy your book here, as I don't live in the US (so if i buy it the mailing fee will cost more than the book itself...sorry:( tight budget), but it definitely look like a good book to me! Well shall focus more on that area. Actually it was my friend (who's half a year older) who recommended me all the organic chem books... and she knows like almost everything now... I would say that personally I think they are quite understandable (reading them), as I have a bit of background I think (maybe 3/4 of the A level syllabus-but I don't live in the UK either). Anyways, thanks for all your prompt comments! Greatly appreciated!

Offline SamstaUK

« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »
What books would people recommend for someone with a general interest in organic chemistry? I'm not studying it, but I enjoy reading about reaction mechanisms and how molecules are synthesised.

Can anyone recommend an organic chemistry book which is interesting to read, but which I could also learn something new?

Thank You

Offline kirushanth

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #174 on: September 24, 2012, 02:09:42 PM »
Is there any book which contains a few ideas and nice reactions and maybe some very good problems from the olympiads which are normally not covered in the standard textbooks?

Offline Tartarus

« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2012, 07:18:40 PM »
We used a book by Maitland Jones. Didn't like it because there were not a lot of problems to practice with.

Then, During the middle of the semester of orgo I, I got a copy of Janice Smith's text and wow! A surplus of problems to toy with. My love for organic chemistry doubled and made orgo II much easier.

Offline OccamsAftershave

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2012, 10:52:13 AM »
Morrison Boyd

Finar and Boyd

Along with Atkin's for Physical and JDL for Inorganic.

Offline sussman

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #177 on: October 19, 2012, 02:50:56 AM »
I've been looking for a good organic chemistry book. I am trying to self-teach for the time being (chemistry is not my field, but forget that since I need to know organic very well). According to Amazon reviews, Clayden et al. is the best. I borrowed a copy of it from my university library. There weren't enough practice problems, and the content seemed quite tedious and theoretical. I tend to like specific rules and patterns, not trial-and-error guesswork based on qualitative understanding of theories.

So I started looking for other books. I'm thinking about using either Wade, Klein, or Hornback. Any suggestions? Should I give it another shot and buy Clayden et al. because it's the "best"?

Offline sussman

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #178 on: October 19, 2012, 08:45:06 PM »
Never mind. I decided to stick with Clayden. The others are even worse.

Offline Sophia7X

• Mole Snacks: +32/-4
  • I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
« Reply #179 on: January 02, 2013, 03:27:40 PM »
Never mind. I decided to stick with Clayden. The others are even worse.

Really??

Klein's Organic Chemistry is, no doubt, the best textbook (out of any subject!) I have read in my entire life. There is no textbook that can even compare... it is only textbook that my eyes won't glaze over after 20 pages. Wade is alright but Klein's book is, in my opinion, THE model textbook. It makes organic easy to understand. I also love how it has these "conceptual checkpoints" and "Skillbuilders" after every few pages to make sure you get the concept before waiting until the end of the chapter and throwing a bunch of exercises, expecting you to remember everything.

Everyone learning organic chemistry should get Klein's Organic Chemistry
Entropy happens.

Sponsored Links