April 25, 2024, 12:57:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Good Organic Chemistry Books  (Read 452376 times)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Good Organic Chemistry Books
« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2013, 05:03:33 PM »
Klein's Organic Chemistry is, no doubt, the best textbook (out of any subject!) I have read in my entire life.

Are you aware of the fact different people learn in different ways? There is no "one size fits all" book for any subject. If you like Klein's book - stick to it. Advising others to try is OK as well - but being sure it will work for everyone is not.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline tripsaurabh

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2013, 08:31:34 AM »
I personally believe that PETER SYKES also should have been on this list. It is by far a very good book for reaction mechanism.  :)

Offline asd34

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2013, 01:46:51 PM »
I am searching for static stereochemistry book, or an organic chem. book, where this part well described. Just the basics, mainly chirality types and configurations.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2013, 03:20:20 AM »
I am searching for static stereochemistry book, or an organic chem. book, where this part well described. Just the basics, mainly chirality types and configurations.

I recommend: Stereochemistry at a Glance - Eames and Peach (ISBN: 0632053755)
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Silver-Midnight

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05:14 PM »
I was wondering if someone could maybe recommend an O-Chem book for an Undergraduate. (I'm an Undergraduate Chemistry major if that helps any). I really need something that's good at explaining the material, hopefully, very, if not mostly, simplified or at least easy to understand. The textbook that I'm using for the class is John McMurray's 8th Ed. Organic Chemistry.

So far, one the major issues that I'm having is learning the C-13 NMR, H1-NMR, and other spectra. So, something that really explains that well would be helpful.

I hope what I'm asking for makes sense. If it doesn't, I can try to elaborate a little further I suppose. 

Offline tomek

• Mole Snacks: +9/-1
« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2013, 02:34:59 AM »
I was wondering if someone could maybe recommend an O-Chem book for an Undergraduate.

I like Clayden's 'Organic Chemistry'. I find it very informative and it explains things well. There's also a good coverage of spectroscopy. Although it's not simplified by any means.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #186 on: January 29, 2013, 02:58:03 AM »
So far, one the major issues that I'm having is learning the C-13 NMR, H1-NMR, and other spectra. So, something that really explains that well would be helpful.

Try: Harwood and Claridge - Introduction to Organic Spectroscopy. ISBN 0198557555

Offline Silver-Midnight

« Reply #187 on: February 06, 2013, 09:42:56 AM »
Thanks. For both of those suggestions, is there any edition that I should specifically get, or will the latest edition be good?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2013, 10:48:16 AM »
It's generally a good idea to get the latest edition of any textbook. The first edition of Clayden & Co is very good though (I actually haven't seen the newer one), so if you're strapped for cash you might save a bit if you get the older one second hand and it should do you just fine.

Offline Alexis7

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2013, 01:11:28 AM »
Klein is without a doubt the best.

If you want to learn how to do mechanisms, I recommend William Groutas.

Offline biomiracle

« Reply #190 on: March 25, 2013, 11:17:57 PM »
Hello!

Has anyone used Wade or Carey Organic Chemistry? 
Which organic textbook from above makes best pair with Klein's organic Chemistry?

Offline Silver-Midnight

« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2013, 01:45:25 PM »
It's generally a good idea to get the latest edition of any textbook. The first edition of Clayden & Co is very good though (I actually haven't seen the newer one), so if you're strapped for cash you might save a bit if you get the older one second hand and it should do you just fine.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I mean I like the textbook that I have (McMurray's); it does explain things pretty well. However, I'm just not grasping the material for some reason. I'm still having trouble understanding it, and I'm kind of at my wit's end about what I should do. (I've tried finding a tutor; that didn't really help. I did a small study group once, and that only kind of helped out.). So, I'm kind of at a loss about what I should do. 

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2013, 03:43:47 PM »
Hi,
has anyone any experience with this book:
Modern Organic Synthesis - An Introduction by George S. Zweifel and Michael H. Nantz
http://www.organic-chemistry.org/books/reviews/0716772663.shtm
lr can you suggest something similar?

Offline kayamusty

• Mole Snacks: +1/-5
« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2013, 06:20:07 AM »
Graham Solomons's Organic Chemistry is the best

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #194 on: August 26, 2013, 11:10:38 AM »
I have very wild experience with different organic chemistry books.
My advise is initially when you are just starting learning organic chemistry ,the best book is by John E. McMurry.
On second stage when you are comfortable with many concepts then you can go for organic chemistry by Paula Y. Bruice .This book  gives you some insight about more difficult concepts and practice on some twisted questions also.Finally if you are doing advance organic chemistry ,then the mother of all organic chemistry  books is by Jerry March .Jerry March is difficult to understand and is only for advance level students.

Sponsored Links