April 18, 2024, 06:08:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Good Organic Chemistry Books  (Read 451701 times)

Offline biomiracle

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Good Organic Chemistry Books
« Reply #210 on: May 12, 2014, 07:45:32 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion.  I actually narrowed down to combinations of following books:

one from: Wade, Smith, McMurry, Bruice, Carey, or Klein

one from: Clayden or Vollhardt

All textbooks seem same to me...what combination is generally good?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #211 on: May 14, 2014, 07:16:39 PM »
I would like to choose one easy-to-understand textbook and one very detailed textbook

I used mainly Clayden for basics/concepts and March for very detailed stuff. It's detailed in the sense that it's very dense in terms of volume of information - it's something like an encyclopedia of organic reactions with very extensive references - but doesn't explain things in great detail. It's great for the "I wonder if this transformation is possible..." moments. My views here are based on 5th edition (the one I have). I'm sure it's even better now - it's currently in 7th edition, but you can probably pick up 6th edition cheaply second hand if 7th is too pricey. It's a very good investment and will be helpful throughout an undergraduate degree and beyond - I am not aware of any textbook that comes close in terms of breadth of coverage.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline user11

« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2014, 06:08:11 AM »
Hi, I've been looking for the "best" (A difinition for "best" follows) Organic chemistry introductory books available and I'm down to the choice between 3 titles, and Would love to hear some comments of the books, if you have red them :)

Definition of "best book":
  • A book That explains subjects very clearly, and goes into detail with the subject so you are not left doubting how to visualize or understand it.
    A book which does not assume you know what it's talking without explaining it. Instead it explains new concepts to you instead of assuming knowledge.
    A book which covers all material needed to do the workproblems for each chapter.
    A somewhat concise book, that is not too wordy but explains what needs to be explained in an easy to understand way. 

The list of 3 organic chemistry books to choose between

1.Organic Chemistry (with Organic ChemistryNOW)  by Joseph Hornback

2. Organic Chemistry by Jonathan Clayden

3. Organic chemistry by David Klein 

What do you guys suggest is the best book?

Offline Guitarmaniac86

• Mole Snacks: +31/-2
  • Medicinal Chemist
« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2014, 07:08:07 AM »
Clayden is my favourite by far. The only problem I find with it is that it explains a point then gives 1000000000 examples when a few would do. It is a really good book.
Don't believe atoms, they make up everything!

Offline Rutherford

• Mole Snacks: +60/-29
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »
Definitely Clayden. For every reactions there is a detailed explanation of the mechanism and how it works on many examples.

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2014, 07:01:03 AM »
Definitely Clayden. For every reactions there is a detailed explanation of the mechanism and how it works on many examples.

I told you so!

Offline biomiracle

« Reply #216 on: May 29, 2014, 08:54:44 AM »
Then can I start with Wade/Bruice Organic Chemistry and Clayden Organic Chemistry for learning the introductory organic chemistry?After that, can continue with Jerry or Carrey Advanced Organic Chemistry for the further study.  For the introductory level, there are so many good textbooks so I do not know which book to go.  If you know good books other than Wade or Bruice, please let me know.

Offline SinkingTako

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
« Reply #217 on: May 29, 2014, 01:10:25 PM »
There is also Carey's Organic Chemistry (not Advanced Organic Chemistry), that is also quite good as introductory. Personally prefers it to Clayden, since it's organised by functional groups. Clayden organises it by mechanisms, which can make it harder to read.

Of course, Clayden goes deeper in terms of content.
Hello!

Offline user11

« Reply #218 on: June 01, 2014, 09:58:22 AM »
Sounds like Clayden is the way to go: Would you recommend the first or second edition of the book?

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
« Reply #219 on: June 01, 2014, 12:57:59 PM »
Sounds like Clayden is the way to go: Would you recommend the first or second edition of the book?

Second

Offline biomiracle

« Reply #220 on: June 01, 2014, 04:33:47 PM »
So Wade Organic Chemistry (8th) and Clayden (2nd) works well?  I would like to know this because I am going to purchase the textbooks by Wednesday.   There are just so many good textbooks in organic chemistry.

Offline user11

« Reply #221 on: June 02, 2014, 02:04:02 AM »
So i Just bought Clayden Organic chemistry 2nd endition: First impression: visually I'd say Organic Chemistry by Joseph Hornback dominates Clayden - The drawings look more pedagogic and easy to understand in Hornbacks (a new book) but then again I've not red a page yet, so when i begin reading i think i'll update this post.

Offline user11

« Reply #222 on: June 10, 2014, 09:29:10 AM »
Hi,
I've red the first 4 chapters in Clayden Organic chemistry, and I gotta admit I find the first chapters on NMR and Orbital theory lacking in explanation and figures. I don't feel like i have a clear understanding of the concept after reading these chapters because they seem to assume knowledge and not give direct methods (explaining the logic of how to work out the problems),  so I'm wondering, Will it keep being like this the next many chapters? Or is it just the beginning that's a bit rough?

I'm afraid that If i can't understand the molecular Orbital theory, then I won't understand the rest of the book, since bonding is explained from Hybridization and molecular orbital.
I've considered David Kleins Organic chemistry, and perhaps Chemistry³: Introducing Inorganic, Organic, and Physical Chemistry 

How do my suggestions sound? Any other suggestions? I'm first year into university studying nutrition but wan't to understand organic chemistry better.

Offline Rutherford

• Mole Snacks: +60/-29
« Reply #223 on: June 16, 2014, 08:04:18 AM »
What book about stereochemsitry do you suggest me to read? I want it to have good explanations on pseudochirality, axial chirality, planar chirality and helicity. With practice problems it would be perfect.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 08:35:31 AM by Raderford »

Offline biomiracle

« Reply #224 on: June 26, 2014, 05:59:13 PM »
Hello!

I am currently using organic chemistry textbooks by L.G. Wade (8th), Clayden (2nd), and Loudon.  I often heard good things about the Hornback's organic chemistry, which is a mechanism-based textbook.  Do I have to read this alongside with other three textbooks I mentioned above?  Is Hornback better than Wade, Clayden, or Loudon?  I know that Clayden is also a mechanism-based textbook; is Clayden far more comprehensive and better understanding then Hornback?  I apologize for asking so many questions, but many people recommended Hornback. I want to get this book too, but I am curious if Hornback is really needed if I have Wade, Clayden, and Loudon.

Sponsored Links