March 28, 2024, 04:06:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Good Organic Chemistry Books  (Read 450877 times)

Offline dun13203171

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Good Organic Chemistry Books
« Reply #255 on: November 26, 2015, 02:01:02 PM »
Guys I am thinking of splashing out for solomons organic chemistry, 11th edition.

Are there any better options out their for an undergrad?

Offline electronpusher96

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #256 on: November 26, 2015, 09:06:51 PM »
For a short survey of undergraduate organic chemistry topics(covered in a 2 semester organic chemistry course), I highly recommend "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language". It's not super in depth, but offers extremely good explanations and diagrams of most reactions.

Offline Rutherford

• Mole Snacks: +60/-29
« Reply #257 on: December 03, 2015, 01:49:44 PM »
What book could I use for practicing asymmetric synthesis? I would like to solve problems with given answers.

Offline Tom Jensen

« Reply #258 on: December 14, 2015, 01:15:14 PM »
For the Undergrad, novice, first timer, do any of these books have anything on Sufactants and phosphate builders?
Thanks, Tom

OCOC

Best Organic Chemistry Resources?
« Reply #259 on: January 15, 2016, 09:27:01 AM »
Hi, I was wondering what everyone has found to be the best resources to learn organic chemistry (book, website, study guide, etc). Thanks!

Offline Rutherford

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
Re: Best Organic Chemistry Resources?
« Reply #261 on: January 15, 2016, 11:47:05 PM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Organic-Chemistry-Jonathan-Clayden/dp/0198503466
+1.  Best book IMO for understanding mechanisms.  From the beginning topics through the more complex problems.

Offline imacology

• Very New Member
« Reply #262 on: February 08, 2016, 07:41:54 PM »
What we use in my Polytech is McMurry's Introduction to Organic Chemistry. Seems decent to me, starts from the very basics.

Anyone else have experience with it?
this is a page who contains a great ebooks in organic chemistry and others i hope that it  helping you https://www.facebook.com/freebookssharing/

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2016, 11:11:21 AM »
Guys could you suggest some advanced orgchem book? Something like Carey and Sundberg? It looks like the I would like but from looking inside the book at amazon page, I find that the non-unified drawing of structures and the fact that sometimes they are not "cleaned up" disturbing. It was suggested to me but Im not sure if I want to spend money on something that is not properly edited.

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #264 on: February 15, 2016, 03:33:50 PM »
Is there any textbook about abiotic synthesis of organic molecules? I would like to read about asymmetric induction hypotheses, possible pathways for carbohydrate and aminoacid synthesis etc.

AdaBrown

Recommended Books for Organic Synthesis
« Reply #265 on: April 25, 2016, 03:23:31 AM »
This is a collection of the remarkable books in organic chemistry synthesis.

1, Asymmetric Synthesis - The Essentials, by Mathias Christmann, Stefan Bräse, with ISBN: 978-3-527-32093-6, published by Wiley-VCH

This book doesn’t present the basics of asymmetric synthesis, but lists the topics and the works of the researchers who have made significant advancements in this field. For every researcher and their work, there is a background presented, and then the detail description of their successful work is included.

2, Domino Reactions in Organic Synthesis, by Lutz F. Tietze, Gordon Brasche, Kersten Gericke, with ISBN: 3-527-29060-5, published by Wiley-VCH

This book for advanced students and chemists can be renowned as a textbook in explaining domino Reactions as it depicts the complex sequent reactions according to mechanistic principles with a combination of fundamentals and examples, easy to be grasped. Of note, the number of examples is huge as about 1000 citations are involved. With which every example is listed with huge explanations, leaving no space for misunderstanding.

3, Elements of Synthesis Planning, by Reinhard W. Hoffmann, with ISBN: 978-3-540-79219-2, published by Springer

This is a practical guide book for advanced students on how to apply the related knowledge on synthesis planning to ensure a smooth process and ideal result in easy to be understood language. Besides, the book features in providing valuable practical tips to improve the result. Its first edition was issued in 2009 and examples are quite in date.

4, Advanced Organic Synthesis, by Francis A. Carey, Richard A. Sundberg, with ISBN-13: 978-0-387-68350-8, published by Springer

First edition was presented in 2005, but appeared early in 1977, is one of the most influential textbook like masterpieces in organic synthesis for graduate students. And now the book is in its fifth edition after several round of revision. The general content of the book is divided into two parts, one for basic concept and the other for reaction and synthesis with the aim of providing further understanding.

5, Reactions and Syntheses, by Lutz F. Tietze, Theophil Eicher, Ulf Diederichsen, Andreas Speicher, with ISBN: 978-3-527-31223-8, published by Wiley-VCH

Reactions and Synthesis features in its presentation of natural products and pharmaceuticals synthesis, combining theory with practice. Another important character of this book is that it contains the all essential information for a synthesis experiment, saving the time for looking for protocols and other related instructions. 

6, Modern Organic Synthesis - An Introduction, by George S. Zweifel, Michael H. Nantz, with ISBN: 978-0-716-77266-8, published by W. H. Freeman

This book is for advanced students with solid foundation on the basic knowledge of organic chemistry and synthesis. The main character is that it explains or defines some important reactions and reagents with the authors’ knowing combined with their experience and expertise. Then it condensed some key reactions rather than involve the common ones, which is significant in providing an understanding without involving many other references books.

7, Organic synthesis-State of the Art 2003–2005, by Douglass F. Taber, with ISBN: 0-470-05331-3, published by Wiley-Interscience

This book includes 103 articles introducing the typical synthesis process in detail, as well as their practical applications, providing a huge volume of studying material for further knowledge on organic synthesis. It’s a collection of articles summarizing the reactions for quick view and grasp published in a professional column. With rich examples and explanation, the book is designed for chemists and advanced students in this field.

8, Practical Organic Synthesis, by R. Keese, M. P. Brändle, T.P. Toube, with ISBN: 0-470-02965-X, published by Wiley

In general, this book is about the ground rules that should be complied with in laboratory, besides some tips for better control on the chemicals needed in organic synthesis. Here are some of the topics the book covers-
   safety in the laboratory
   environmentally responsible handling of chemicals and solvents
   crystallisation
   distillation
   chromatographic methods
The content can assist the experiment process carried out smoothly especially in the fundamental operation. Thus both undergraduate students and advanced students can benefit from this book.

9, Science of Synthesis: Water in Organic Synthesis, by Shu Kobayashi, with ISBN: 978-3131693518, published by Thieme
Sciences of Synthesis: Water in Organic Synthesis is on the water usage in organic synthesis, a useful book for chemists. It emphasizes the application of water to replace some organic solvent on the condition that the whole process can still be carried out and the target result won’t be influenced. Another standout feature of the book is that it’s indexed by pair keywords, very convenient for searching.

10, Side Reactions in Organic Synthesis, by Florencio Zaragoza Dörwald, ISBN: 3-527-31021-5, published by Wiley-VCH

Side Reactions in Organic Synthesis can be a guide book for advanced students and chemists to improve the success rate by avoiding some mistakes. With concentrates on several important reactions, most frequently encountered reasons causing the failures and the way to avoid them are presented, allowing participants quickly reversing the trouble-some situations.

11, Classics in Total Synthesis, by K. C. Nicolaou, Eric J. Sorensen, with ISBN: 3-527-29231-4, published by Wiley-VCH
Firstly published in 1996, the two books of Classics in Total Synthesis have been considered as must read books among chemists. The most important substance synthesis happened during the period of 1950-1955 are concluded in this book and the general process of the successes are presented.

12, Classics in Total Synthesis II, by K. C. Nicolaou, Scott A. Snyder, with ISBN: 3-527-30684-6, published by Wiley-VCH
Classics in Total Synthesis II follows the content and style of Classics in Total Synthesis, but presented some of the most latest examples of the most important natural substance synthesis in 1990’s. It’s a sequential volume after the former one being accepted by readers.

13, Total Synthesis of Natural Products: At the Frontiers of Organic Chemistry, by Jie Jack Li, E. J. Corey, with ISBN: 978-3-642-34065-9, published by Springer
Total synthesis of Natural Products is a gathering of 11 leading scientists, in which the difficulties they were faced during the synthesis of natural products and the ways to deal with these problems are presented in their own style, being quite readable.

14, Green Techniques for Organic Synthesis and Medicinal Chemistry, by Wei Zhang, Berkeley Cue, with ISBN: 978-0-470-71151-4, published by Wiley
With the increasing importance to be environment friendly in every aspect of chemistry, green matters to contribute a general green chemistry. Green Techniques for Organic Synthesis and Medicinal Chemistry provides a collection of the established and emerging techniques from the perspective of being green for both researches and productions.

15, Design and strategy in organic synthesis: from the Chiron approach to catalysis, by Stephen Hanessian, Simon Giroux and Bradley L. Merner, with ISBN: 978-3-527-31964-0, published by Wiley-VCH
This book, written by a leading organic chemist, Stephen Hanessian with the help of his colleagues, is for graduate students. A novel synthesis planning is presented in the book. Key points are put on chiral synthesis, but catalytic asymmetric methods are also discussed. It’s considered as a must-have book for professionals in the field.

If there are more good books in the field you know, please add them in the comment to make the list more significant.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 03:26:56 AM by Borek »

Offline TVC

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #266 on: May 17, 2016, 08:57:46 PM »
The book E-Z Organic Chemistry by Bruce A. Hathaway is quite good. Just another OChem book, but I really liked it. Also, almost all of the books in the SM Library here on OChem which I've read are great, specifically Vogel's Practical Organic Chemistry, ed.3. It contains a great collection of syntheses which are profitable to look through for getting an idea of the practical side of chemistry.

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #267 on: July 22, 2016, 06:03:24 AM »
Where to find the solutions to Michael Smith Organic Synthesis 3rd edition? In the book it is written that there is a free solution manual online but I cannot find it.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2016, 07:46:18 AM »
Information on Author Home (uconn.edu)
The solutions manual is online as a pdf file for each chapter. It wil be made available upon request to those who order the book.
AWK

Offline GinaTageldin

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
recommended books for a chemist researcher
« Reply #269 on: March 07, 2017, 08:52:22 AM »
Hi all, i need valuable books for both designing drugs and most of organic reaction. but with an easy language and which topics would i start with????(graduate level)

Sponsored Links