March 28, 2024, 07:10:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: possible cause of why a person causes a watch to stop everytime she wears it  (Read 28508 times)

Offline pato

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
ok, so first post lol
please dont flame me, i dont even know if this is the right section.
i tried searching, and had no idea where to start

Ok, so my friend approaches me the other day, and asks wether i knew why every time she puts a watch on, within a couple of days it loses time and eventually stops,.
i had no idea, never even heard of this happening to anyone, and naturally was instantly curious.
i originally thought it may have something to do with a magnetic field she may be emmiting, interfering with the watch/battery, but, only doing a chemistry degree, and never having done biology in my life, i really didnt know what i was talking about.

strangley enough, a watch she had just bought, worn for a couple of days, and had stoped, she lent to a mate. Her mate didnt change the battery or anything, just chucked it on, and within days it was working again and keeping perfect time

anyone have any ideas, etc, on what may be happening.
shes just begining a teaching degree, and really needs a watch. but doesnt want to waste money, on somethign thats just going to break.

cheers
blake

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Research on human magnetic field generation is likely to be scarce, given that there are limited mechanisms by which humans could generate a significant one. 

I tended to go through watches quite rapidly, for one thing, I over-wound then, and broke their springs.  Also, having worn glasses most  of my life, I have poor peripheral vision, and tend to bang my extremities on surfaces a lot.  My hands have developed the ability to take that abuse, but I've cracked dozens of watch crystals. 

As an explanation for psychics who are able to restart stopped watch provided by the audience, some debunker pointed out that poor quality watch oil can seize the works when cold, and start again due to human body heat, so maybe your friend's wrist tends to the cold side. 

Long story short, there are probably other explanations, but it really just boils down to observation, and the bias that comes from it.

Question:  can your friend stop a watch they're not wearing?  Place both hands on either side of a clock and stop it?  Lean against a computer case and cause calculation errors?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 11:32:51 AM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
I don't know the answer to your question, but,  Can she wear a wind up watch?  Perhaps she will be better of with one of them?

I tend to bang my extremities on surfaces a lot.  My hands have developed the ability to take that abuse, but I've cracked dozens of watch crystals. 

I do this as well, although my vision is fine  -  I think it is because I rush a bit and try to cut corners (which can't be done through solid objects,, ::)  ). I nearly broke my arm on a door handle 8 months ago!

Anyway  -  I still think she should try a wind up watch to see if she has the same effct on that  - not sure why I lost snacks for this post, I though it was a sensible suggestion, but hey!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 01:25:30 PM by P »
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
Or she could take a clock with her to the classroom.

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
Or she could be the next Chris Angel.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline pato

• Very New Member
I don't know the answer to your question, but,  Can she wear a wind up watch?  Perhaps she will be better of with one of them?

well see thats the thing,
wind up watches are quite expensive ( apparently, i havent looked into it, just from what my friend had said) and she doesnt want to waste the money on one, if its not going to work either,
lol this was the first thing i suggested too,

i think, the tests of holding her hand around the watches while its on someone else would be difficult, as it does take considerable hours to notice a change ( 12 hours at least )

i also suggested to get someone to bring a good quality compas in close proximity to her, to see if any noticable changes can be seen, but if a possibly magnetic field was that weak, i doubt that test will be conclusive

thanks for the replies :)
blake

Offline aj3537

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
I don't have a clue as to why the watches won't work but I think I have a solution to her problem. I hate wearing watches on my wrist. They just plain annoy me. My mom bought me this small, cheap watch, $20 at JC Penny's that clips on to a belt loop, purse, or car keys. There are only about 4 to 6 inches long and some come in cute little designs as flowers or animals.

Anyways, back to the point, get a clip watch or invest in a pocket watch. A pocket watch might be pricey, but if she is that much in need of a watch, it would be a good investment considering the problem.

Another possible solution is a special watchband. My grandpa sweats through watches. So for christmas, I got his this watch for $65 that has a leather band that runs under the watch. He's had it for 2 years now and it still works. Fossil makes some cheap ones.

Here is some pictures from ebay to see what I'm talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOSSIL-LADIES-PINK-VIBRANCE-DIAL-LEATHER-FLORAL-WATCH_W0QQitemZ190207730446QQihZ009QQcategoryZ31387QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ASH-CREEK-CLIP-WATCH-w-leather-band-and-date_W0QQitemZ320228383961QQihZ011QQcategoryZ398QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Covered-Ladybug-Clip-Watch-NIP_W0QQitemZ260220810767QQihZ016QQcategoryZ31387QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-Womans-Size-Waltham-Hunting-Case-Pocket-Watch_W0QQitemZ160220122948QQihZ006QQcategoryZ10314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Get a cellphone.  Then she can call you when the time gets off sync.

Offline mjtncul

• Very New Member
The reason may not be human magnetism, but electro magnetic fields encountered through some activity she regularly undertakes e.g sitting close to a
cathode ray screen, computer or tv.

Sponsored Links