Keep It
12 (54.5%)
Ditch It
10 (45.5%)
I don't care, but I want to vote for something anyways
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: March 19, 2008, 10:43:34 PM

Topic: Job Forum (Keep it/Ditch it)  (Read 23484 times)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Job Forum (Keep it/Ditch it)
« on: March 12, 2008, 10:43:34 PM »
I like the job forum, it lets chemical forums grow outside its chemical education niche. But, I'll honor the results.

Voting will last for 7-days.

Mitch
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 12:21:27 AM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline chrisbb

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
Re: Job Forum (Keep it/Ditch it)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:51:50 PM »
As a soon to be grad, i like the idea of it = keep it.
Perhaps jobs within 6 - 8 months can be removed, kind of ruduce the level of threads. On top of that idea, it is easier to see the newer and more relavant ones to my liking :)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 11:01:22 PM »
Of course, I'd want to keep it, I'm unemployed, so I'm biased.  I wouldn't grind against it even if I was well employed, it might help someone else.  Especially with the easy way mentioned, to highlight the sub-board and mark just those threads read.  It as easy as ignoring the "gimmie gimmie" question posters, even easier, the subject is obvious.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 02:09:37 AM »
Take into account the idea of Agrobert in Re: Job posting etc
AWK

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 12:19:09 PM »
Find A Job Forum

I would like to address the following:

1.   The purpose of www. Chemical forums.com is to foster interest and support for chemistry and related sciences.

2.   The job forum is a sub forum in www.chemicalforums.com.  The purpose of which is to afford people in the chemical and related sciences to peruse and investigate posed employment opportunities.

3.   The statements that the entire site would become a site for merely posting jobs (jokes has been mentioned as well-ref. humor forum) is absurd and illogical.  Do you really believe that the entire focus of every individual on the forum is the job section?  That does not make logical sense.

4.   Explain in a logical sequence how posting current employment opportunities with top notch companies is a negative thing?  Explain how making sure the job section is current and updated poses a threat to www.chemicalforums.com? 

5.   If no one contributes to the job forum…if it remains dormant…it is neither current nor productive.  Current and productive posts are inherent to its existence as a positive tool.

6.   If you do not want to read a notification of a job posting you can mark it as “read”.  This tool has been implemented by the people who run the forum.

7.   Because you have distain for the person making the posts on the job forum-you would deprive the entire community of taking advantage of prime employment opportunities that may otherwise be inaccessible.

8.   You are not affecting me with your negativity.  I take time from my busy day to format and post those positions and opportunities.  All you are doing is closing off a valuable asset to people seeking employment.

9.   So you are suggesting it is OK to share only certain information.  That the sharing of job opportunities should be prohibited!!!  Interesting!!!  Is it the posts you are opposed to – or is it the person doing the posting?

10.   There are a number of recruiters I know personally who have registered on your site.  They have read your comments.  They feel you are opposed to employment and the opportunities they could present.  If they have openings they ask me to post them because they do not want to deal with your negativity.  In your blinding rage against the person posting you have effectively “cut off your nose to spite your face.”  Figuratively speaking…of course.

11.   If you look at the jobs posted –they are Global opportunities:  USA, Europe, Canada, etc…

12.   The assertion that no one reads them is absurd.  Go look at the number of views.

13.   Generally, people work after they graduate.  Explain how job postings are a negative thing?

14.   Because of the increased inquiries of undergraduates, graduates, post-docs-postings of opportunities for those segments of the population have increased.  Those postings address a demand/request for information/direction.

15.   Students often write the same question over and over and over:  How do I get a job?  What should I do? Where should I go? Who should I speak to?  What is the process?

To make the job forum easier to maneuver it might be a good idea to have subsections:  Internships/Co-ops; Industry, Academia, Government, valuable LINKS (such as www.ccl.net – GLOBAL Listing of all jobs in the area of  Computational Chemistry)-these jobs are WORLD-WIDE. It would make it easier for people to find what they are seeking.

A permanent procedure addressing the constant request from students as to how to proceed when applying for jobs-would not be a bad idea either.

Posting these very positive suggestions will of course incite additional dissention from those blinded by h8tred for the poster.  This will deprive the majority of the population on the forum from benefiting from the insider information the poster is able to provide. 

SO BE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline EM~wave

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 03:32:21 PM »
Definitely KEEP IT--> this is a huge asset to this site.  This is a great forum for somebody looking for a job or just wanting to see what current jobs are available.  The internships, etc is also a great asset.  Why would there even be a poll to ditch this forum ?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 03:41:25 PM »
Why would there even be a poll to ditch this forum ?

The other side of the debate:

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=24057.msg91149#msg91149

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 04:51:20 PM »
Dear Mitch;

I voted to keep it ‘long’ time before anyone thought about any voting, but it must be in an adequate kind and frame!
(Who ever are interested may read it there.)

Life must be possible, Side ON Side, with Peace and Respect of Both to Both!

Sorry! for what I have to say now:
That’s never voting, - that’s simply a farce!   (Everybody must know the outcome.)
There can’t be only one with just half an iota brain and only half an iota heart for the Members and Non-Members of these Forums, - and vote against!

But:
You and everybody know what it means if you ‘drop’ it!
You and everybody know, that there is only one yet who knows how it will be kept!
Conclusion:
So Please simply tell:   How will you keep it for us!, and for the future!

I never!  believe we ‘Swiss Citizen’ are the only who knows as good as possible, what effects (and how!) the outcome will be, if we vote Yes (For) or No (Against) before we open any ‘Voting Box’!

So again:   How will you keep it for us all?     (Not: will you keep it!)

Kind Regards!
                            ARGOS++

P.S.:   Why not simply ask where the unwanted influences are and:
Software (and hence source code, as you told) are only Tools, and must be any time Subject for better adaptation to their job. Of course, it may take a little time.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 05:55:34 PM »
ARGOS++, you know, the US is holding party primaries, couldn't one of them use you right about now? :D

Offline ARGOS++

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 07:23:02 PM »

Dear Arkcon;

Swiss know quite a lot about the “Primaries” of US, and mostly only a few minutes later then the US.

But why you think Swiss HOLD seven ‘“Premiers”’ instead of only ‘one’?
Maybe they know the old Chemistry Proverb a little better:

Diluted Acid (‘Empowerment’) is easier to handle!

That’s maybe why our seven are not telling tomorrow something different as today, and the opposite they told yesterday, before their election.
(And after voting they don’t go back to ‘Alzheimer’. ;))

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline EM~wave

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 10:32:35 PM »
Hi Arkon,  Thank you so much for sending me more information on this topic (keep it/ditch it).  I did read the thread in the link that you sent me & my comment to to it would be-->  if one is NOT interested in the new postings than by-pass them.  Job postings are definitely a positive asset to this forum. 

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 10:45:05 PM »
Dear Mitch;

I voted to keep it ‘long’ time before anyone thought about any voting, but it must be in an adequate kind and frame!
(Who ever are interested may read it there.)

Life must be possible, Side ON Side, with Peace and Respect of Both to Both!

Sorry! for what I have to say now:
That’s never voting, - that’s simply a farce!   (Everybody must know the outcome.)
There can’t be only one with just half an iota brain and only half an iota heart for the Members and Non-Members of these Forums, - and vote against!

But:
You and everybody know what it means if you ‘drop’ it!
You and everybody know, that there is only one yet who knows how it will be kept!
Conclusion:
So Please simply tell:   How will you keep it for us!, and for the future!

I never!  believe we ‘Swiss Citizen’ are the only who knows as good as possible, what effects (and how!) the outcome will be, if we vote Yes (For) or No (Against) before we open any ‘Voting Box’!

So again:   How will you keep it for us all?     (Not: will you keep it!)

Kind Regards!
                            ARGOS++

P.S.:   Why not simply ask where the unwanted influences are and:
Software (and hence source code, as you told) are only Tools, and must be any time Subject for better adaptation to their job. Of course, it may take a little time.

I'm not sure what your point is, if you want me to respond please be more specific.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline ARGOS++

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 11:04:11 PM »

Dear Mitch;

To do it the same short as you:     How  =  in which kind!
or:
How you realise:  Life must be possible, Side ON Side, in Peace and with Respect of Both to Both!

Kind Regards!
                      ARGOS++

P.S.:   Thank you for having deleted that ‘spamming’ Thread.

Offline EM~wave

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 11:22:34 PM »
In response to  "P.S.:   Thank you for having deleted that ‘spamming’ Thread."

-->  Nobody would have any money to buy those cell phones w/o a job! ;)

Offline ARGOS++

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 11:30:26 PM »

Dear EM~wave;

The phones were not the worst in it! ;)

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Sponsored Links