April 23, 2024, 07:58:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: galenics : O/W emulsion  (Read 11701 times)

Offline ordella

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
galenics : O/W emulsion
« on: January 27, 2008, 09:03:30 AM »
hi,

I'm studying to be a laboratorist and as an assignment we have to pick a product e.g. a cleanser and make it from scratch.

So I've decided to make cetaphil and was wondering if anyone has an idea on how this product could be made?

Ingredients :
aqua, cetyl alcohol, Propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearyl alcohol, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben.

It's an oil in water emulsion and so far I know the functions of all the ingredients but i'm not sure where to start?

If you can help me, please reply!
thanks in advance !

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
Re: galenics : O/W emulsion
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 06:44:12 PM »
Cetaphil appears to be a BRAND Name for a line of skin care products:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetaphil

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
Re: galenics : O/W emulsion
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 07:48:21 PM »
Dear Ordella;

IMHO  I would, because it is an O/W and not a W/O emulsion, try two methods and finally keep the better:

• a.)    I would split the amount of emulgent  by the ratio of O to W and pre-homogenise both phases, and unify them under very strong agitation, maybe with a:  "Ultra-Turrax Homogeniser”.
  • b.)     Add the cleanser agents to the water, and the propylene glycol to the oil phase, and homogenise each. Finally unify in the same way as on a.).

I hope I’m not completely wrong, because my experiences in this field are quite rudimentary.

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Sponsored Links