April 28, 2024, 01:02:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I have a question maybe you guys can help me with  (Read 3426 times)

Offline Atrudeela

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I have a question maybe you guys can help me with
« on: March 15, 2008, 09:34:41 PM »
I have to do a science experiment for school next week and we are trying to figure out how to make dyed Diesel fuel turn clear from its original color. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: I have a question maybe you guys can help me with
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 09:40:47 PM »
You'll have to start with the name, at least, of the dye used to color diesel fuel.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Atrudeela

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 10:22:37 PM »
i think its a red dye #1 mixed with acetone.or solvent red 6 or solvent red 164 is what it said on wikipedia.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 08:51:41 AM »
OK, what about the structure of the dye tells you how to decolorize it.

N.B.  This is the second time I've seen a question posted, that was, allegedly, assigned by a teacher, for a problem that the answer to was ... somewhat illegal.  In many countries, diesel fuel for agricultural machines is taxed differently than for transportation, and is dyed, so it can be found being used in the wrong vehicle, and the fines for that are serious.  Presumably, the penalties for attempting to circumvent detection are even more intense.

The other thread was one where a student was assigned the task of researching the process of extracting ammonium nitrate from fertilizer.  We worked with that student quite a bit, all the while feeling more and more worried -- the same process was used many years ago to knock down a building in Oklahoma, so us people in the US are a little sensitive on that topic.

We've also had many people just show up and demand drug or explosive manufacturing techniques for their basement laboratory, and we just tell those people to get lost.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do believe teachers read the same newspapers and websites I do, or at least they can.  Heh.  And I recognize that they may want to keep a question topical and interesting for their students.  In my day, my organic chemistry text book had a question along the lines of, "This is the structure of lysergic acid diethylamine, and here is the structure of gallic acid, extracted from oak galls.  Using only straight chain alcohols and any inorganic reagents required, convert gallic acid into LSD."  That was a funny question, back in the '80's, but might get a teacher in trouble, these days.

Long story short, I hope, Atrudeela:, that you'll put some effort into keeping this question ... theoretical.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links