April 25, 2024, 10:45:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis of Prozac  (Read 6962 times)

Offline zilalti

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
  • I'm a mole!
Synthesis of Prozac
« on: March 16, 2008, 06:40:35 PM »
I'm looking over a synthesis of Prozac and I'm having a little trouble understanding one of the mechanism behind the reaction. http://www.nitrogenorder.org/molweek/sep2005/04sep05.shtml

The last step of the reaction is the loss of a methyl group via Glycol, KOH and H20 however I can't think how this would work. Can anyone help?

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
Re: Synthesis of Prozac
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 08:13:28 PM »
Well first of all you are not losing a methyl group.  You are losing a cyano group which was strategically installed so that is could be removed in a controlled and well known fashion.  The cyano group -CN is a carboxylic acid synthon meaning that its chemistry is similar to that of a carboxylic acid.  The last reaction involves nucleophilic attack of the cyano group by the glycol under basic heated conditions.  You are right, if it were loss of a methyl it would be very confusing.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline zilalti

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 08:27:40 PM »
ah i see my mistake. I missed out the penultimate step when copying down the mechanism. Thanks for the reply.

Offline lutesium

• Mole Snacks: +8/-24
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 04:19:59 PM »
Why do we use a dimethylamine counterpart instead of a mono-methylamine??? This is a very good raction scheme for the students as it shows the useability of the Von Braun reaction!!! I know that the reason that we 're using the dimethyl amine is that it serves as a protecting group but from which step???

Maybe it serves as to stabilize the molecule from -maybe- harsh reaction conditions ???

Lutesium...

Sponsored Links