April 29, 2024, 05:45:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Movie of Diels Alder reaction?  (Read 8338 times)

Offline spirochete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +51/-9
Movie of Diels Alder reaction?
« on: March 12, 2008, 05:19:19 PM »
I have searched many pages of google with no success.  Does anybody have a link to a movie of the diels alder reaction, including formation of the transition state?

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 12:59:27 AM by agrobert »
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline redskytonight820

• Mole Snacks: +6/-3
Re: Movie of Diels Alder reaction?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:38:31 AM »
Diels-Alder isn't too hard once you get the hang of it!

Just break the double bond, draw the dotted lines from both carbons that the dbl bond was previously on, and connect to other carbons on the other molecule, and you're set.

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 12:57:15 AM »

Just break the double bond, draw the dotted lines from both carbons that the dbl bond was previously on, and connect to other carbons on the other molecule, and you're set.

?
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 01:05:16 AM »

Ah, yes, but when you deal with HOMO-LUMO issues and which substituents are going to end up facing up/down, that is always the confusing part.  If I'm dealing with a ring and endo/exo, then it's usually not a problem.  However, acyclic DA reactions are a tossup for me (I usually just flip a coin for the position of the substiuents).

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 05:08:33 AM »
However, acyclic DA reactions are a tossup for me (I usually just flip a coin for the position of the substiuents).

If there's only one substituent on diene and dieneophile, as in e.g. nitroethylene and penta-1,3-diene, or nitroethylene and 2-methylbuta-1,3-diene; a rough and ready answer can be surmised by suggesting that the Diels Alder is "ortho-para directing" - it does have some basis in orbital theory but is perhaps a bit complicated to describe on a forum like this.

I think there's a reasonably easy explanation in http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pericyclic-Reactions-Oxford-Chemistry-Primers/dp/0198503075

Is that the problem you mean?

S

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 05:12:34 AM »
Indeed sjb, the orbital picture on the cover of that book is what I'm talking about.  It's no worry though, I've never been very good with orbital theory and the like.  MO, HOMO, LUMO, etc have never been a strong suit in my organic knowledge.

Offline spirochete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +51/-9
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 06:21:29 PM »
Thanks for the link I completely forgot about google video/you tube.

The strange thing is I have no problem predicting products and whatnot, it's just that when it comes to stereochemistry I can't always visualize exactly how the product came to be.  I hate feeling like I'm drawing dashes and wedges based on an arbitrary rule, and I've been able to avoid that up until this rxn. 

I should get it eventually by playing around with models. 

Offline davej

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 01:06:09 PM »
Don't know if this is exactly what you are talking about, as I don't exactly remember Diels Alder reaction, but maybe look at this? http://www.asu.edu/courses/chm331/notes/conjugated/visualize/fingersthumbs.mov

Sponsored Links