April 26, 2024, 06:44:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Henry's Law  (Read 6034 times)

jj

Henry's Law
« on: March 17, 2005, 07:16:13 PM »
I'm trying to solve a problem involving a gas with a H constant of 70.....If sampling a water sample with this gas dissolved in it, is it best to fill a serum bottle and remove headspace, replacing with N2, letting it equilibrate and then sampling for the gas-OR to remove a water sample, placing in another (N2 only) bottle and letting that equilibrate?  Seems as if I would need to know the pressure in the bottles- how is this measured....Only info Ihave is that the gas is SF6 and the H constant is 70.  Question is to calculate how the gas conc in headspace changes in both bottles as the solution ( gas in water) conc changes...Boy I have no idea.  

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Henry's Law
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 07:59:29 PM »
Henry's Law states that the vapour pressure of a component is directly proportional to the mole fraction of the component in a solution, ie.
yAP = H.xA.P* where:
yA is mole fraction of component in gas phase
P: total pressure of gas phase
H: henry's constant
xA is mole fraction of component in solution phase
P* is saturated vapour pressure of the component

P* can be obtained using the antoine equation:
lg P* = A + B/(C + DT)  where A, B, C. D are constants unique to the substance. and T is the temperature of the system. These values can be looked up in standard data tables.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links