March 28, 2024, 08:08:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need IR for 9,10 dihydroanthracene-9, 10-a,ß-succinic anhydride !!!Urgent!!!!  (Read 34409 times)

Offline rwebb

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Had a lab and could not get the IR to work properly. Professor said to get it off line. Easier said than done,  :-\ I cannot find it anywhere. The name is 9,10 dihydroanthracene-9, 10-α,β-succinic anhydride and according to sigma aldrich it is DIBENZO(H,K)-4-OXATRICYCLO(5.2.2.02,6)UNDEC-8,10-DIENE-3,5-DIONE. Sigma aldrich didn't have the IR neither did sdbs. Structure is below. PLEASE HELP. Thanks in advance.

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
Well succinic anhydride is whats important for the IR.  How many carbonyl stretches do you expect?  What is significant about anhydride stretching. Critical thinking is important for IR.

Succinic anhydride
108-30-5

In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • diels alder
Please read forum rules as well.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline rwebb

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
agrobert,

If this post was against forum rules I am truly sorry. My intention was to try to find an IR spectrum for this compound so that it could be used for my lab. I am aware of how to identify peaks in the IR as to determine key features for the molecular structure a compound using the IR. In my class we use IR as well as NMR for indenfication and molecular structure. The IR in our lab was not working and the professor asked us to find it online. I can give expected peaks in the IR for the molecule but that still leaves me with out an IR. I was told that some computer programs have IR spectra for compounds, I am unsure of this but just thought I would ask here to see if I could find any help. So like I said if my question was in any way out of line I am sorry and the entire post can be deleted. I am really sorry to the members of this forum for any inconvience this may have caused.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
I don't think it's very likely that there is, even on the web, a database of graphic depictions of spectra for obscure organic compounds.  So your instructor, has simply steered you wrong, if they implied it would be simple to find.  Maybe, online texts have simple compounds, as teaching aids, but such an obscure compound, who would be likely to have it around, scanned, and waiting for you?

Oh, and once your class IR is fixed, I'll need a uploaded scan of 1,3 dichloroanthracene-9, 10-a,ß-succinic acid, and quickly, quickly, if somone in your class got it already, please.  Please.

Just kidding, I don't need that for any reason.  :D  But you see the problem your question posed.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
Oh hey, have you tried here:

http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/name-ser.html

You'll have to type in the name, the one you have doesn't work when I try it.  But they claim to have the IR spectra, I've never used that function, myself.  But if it's anywhere on the net, its there.

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • diels alder
Better to search by CAS 5443-16-3

http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?Name=5443-16-3&Units=SI

But looks like IR is not there.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
Yeah, I figured, I have no idea what that instructor was talking about, getting it online.  rwebb: if the instructor tells you what site they think has it, I hope you'll post it here so we can use it when we need it.

*[EDIT]*

"Professor said to get it off line.", could your instructor have meant the result was stored on the system's hard disk from last year's class or something like that?

Offline chrisbb

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
I found this one, not sure if it is close or not though :)

http://riodb01.ibase.aist.go.jp/sdbs/cgi-bin/cre_frame_disp.cgi?spectrum_type=ir&sdbsno=27401

Good work chrisbb:, I had forgotten that Japanese database.  They sure are testy about leachers, aren't they?  But that structure isn't the molecule in question.  It's just like I said in this thread, I don't know what makes rwebb:'s instructor so sure that the web has a copy of the ir-specturum of a maleic diels-alder adduct to anthracene.  I don't care if you can buy it from Sigma, it is a somewhat obscure molecule.

The more I'm forced to think about this, the more I figure "getting it off-line" meant "getting it on your own time, outside of class, later, when the IR is fixed" and not a synonym for "get it online over the internet"

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Good work chrisbb:, I had forgotten that Japanese database.
neither did sdbs.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
Good work chrisbb:, I had forgotten that Japanese database.
neither did sdbs.

He. He.  Obscure acronyms.  Fair warning I intend to sprinkle my posts liberally with hhoa form now on.

Sponsored Links