April 18, 2024, 04:10:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Orders of reaction for Na2S2O3 + HCl?  (Read 12664 times)

Offline billli

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Orders of reaction for Na2S2O3 + HCl?
« on: March 24, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there knows the reaction orders for the following reaction:

S2O3^2- + 2H+ ==>SO2 + S + H2O

where

R=K[S2O32-]a [H+ ]b

I need the values for a and b, the orders of the reaction, also if you know the answer, please provide some support, or a website or so..

so far i have the following answers
a=2, b=0
a=2, b=1
a=1, b=1
a=1, b=0

and this is suppose to be an experiment, but everyone is getting different results, i'm getting

R=K[S2O32-]2 [H+ ]0

and i would just like to double check

thanks
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 08:06:23 PM by billli »

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Re: Orders of reaction for Na2S2O3 + HCl?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 07:55:05 PM »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there knows the reaction orders for the following reaction:

S2O3^2- + 2H+ ==>SO2 + S + H2O

<< snip >>

First, can you state what the order of a reaction is and how you determine it? Then apply that to your problem. Where does that get you?

Looking at a couple of Web sites myself to remind myself about reaction orders I wonder whether you have given enough information for the question to be answered (I suspect you haven't given all the info but I may be wrong) Have you only given part of the question?

Second, is the equation correct (see also point 3 below)? Does acid being added to S2032- (thiosulphuric??) to give Sulphur dioxide and sulphur precipitate. It's a new reaction on me - but that doesn't mean it's not correct (sorry, double negative).

Third, can you please use the sub-script and super-script editing options provided on this message forum when writing out a chemical equation? I find it difficult to follow your question without sub- and super-scripts being used.

Thanks

Clive
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 08:13:09 PM by cliverlong »

Sponsored Links