March 28, 2024, 07:26:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Iodine  (Read 31791 times)

chemicaldream

Iodine
« on: April 22, 2004, 12:56:46 PM »
Hey guys,
I am after a rection that will precipitate or otherwise give Iodine (that is, elemental Iodine ie not in compound form).
(I have heard that a displacement reaction between potassium iodide and copper sulfate will do the trick)

Cheers!

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Iodine
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 01:07:16 PM »
Sublimation works out best.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Scratch-

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-4
  • llamas, eat my bazooka!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 01:20:35 PM »
I think he’s talking about a chemical change. Isn’t sublimation a physical change?
Hydrochloric acid, guaranteed to make you lose weight!

chemicaldream

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 01:28:36 PM »
What sublimation reaction would you recommend?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 02:14:12 PM »
I've just read that sublimation works out great for isolating Iodine. When I've used iodine in the lab it always seems to sublime to the top of my reaction vessels.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Scratch-

• Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 03:38:12 PM »
You might be able to purify and concentrate it from medicinal iodine.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 07:16:50 PM »
If you have molecular iodine already, you can separate it from your other materials by sublimation given that none of your other stuff isn't volatile.  Now, given the uses of iodine, I can't imagine what you could be using it for that would be good.  Maybe if you tell us your uses, we might be more forthcoming.

Offline Scratch-

• Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 08:09:57 PM »
What do you mean by "Given the uses of iodine", the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is for sanitization.

chemicaldream

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 05:02:48 AM »
The use is actually for a little bit of fun  :)
It's called Ammonium Triiodide crystals
You touch them and they go bang - not a powerful explosive, quite tame actually. But can be fun.
(We actually made them at school, years ago, in year 12 chem - under the techers' supervision. Believe me, they really are harmless. If I wanted a bigger bang, it can be done with household chemicals as you all know. But where's the fun in that?)

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 08:17:04 AM »
Heh.  You are sorely mistaken my friend.  Nitrogen Triiodide crystals (also known as Ammonium triiodide) are a super sensitive HIGH EXPLOSIVE.  That means that that when it explodes, it explodes with great force.  Many people think it's harmless, but you can seriously hurt yourself and others.  Also, Iodine vapor isn't something you want to be inhaling and getting on your skin.  It leaves some pretty nasty burns.  When I was in college, my organic professor showed me the window of a dorm where some kid tried to make NI3.  He made what he claimed was a small, harmless amount but wound up blowing the window out of the dorm and shattering his left arm.  Nitrogen Triiodide is NOT just some harmless fun.  It's a high explosive that does not get the respect it deserves.  Make one wrong mistake and you'll have just as much trouble and danger as if you were working with nitroglycerine.  I'm not saying "nobody should ever make it."  That would be quite hypocritical.  I'm just stating that you need to realize that it's not a minor explosive and it's not a minimal danger.  I'm not quite sure if you've grasped that yet.   ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Scratch-

• Retired Staff
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 09:16:50 AM »
Hmmm.... Sounds like a neat thing to do with certain precautions, but I think I’ll wait till I have better equipment to handle it with.

Corvettaholic

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 11:48:44 AM »
Ammonium Triiodide sounds really cool and all, but I don't have enough experience and know-how to safely go about it yet, so I won't. I'm just gonna stick with synthesizing harmless or "neat" things until I feel comfortable with chemistry. The guys and I had a bit of a discussion over this triiodide stuff last night, and agreed it was best not to try out this one for now  ;D

chemicaldream

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 12:06:39 PM »
Oh, my god. I don't know if anyone saw the part I wrote when I said
I DID THIS AT SCHOOL. With a whole heap of other students. The teachers told us how to do it!!!!! It was part of an extra little course for chem students, and it was done at the end of the course for fun. The teachers even did it.
{Edited} and get a stick and touch the crystals.
KEEEEEERRRRRRBOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The explosion was so incredible, that when I touched a crystal with my finger, it felt like someone had flicked it (my finger).

Are you guys afraid of party poppers? (those things that have a string that you pull, and then streamers come out) Do you run when someone pops a balloon?

I understand that explosives are dangerous, and over the 15 years or so I have been making them, my knowledge, understanding and RESPECT for them has meant that I have not even had a "close call".

If I want a big bang, I'll make some nitro (like I first did many years ago). But for now, I'll be happy with some iodine and ammonia. ok?  :)

So, please, if someone actually knows how to isolate it, can you please tell me? It would be greatly appreciated. THANKYOU!!!

Cheers

Edit: Information on the preparation of explosives is simply not within the scope of this website. Please refraim from sharing this type of knowlege here. Mitch
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 01:46:13 PM by Mitch »

chemicaldream

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2004, 12:15:40 PM »
Ah, here we go. Got it. Very simple, very easy.
 :o Oh, no, I am going to use it!!! :)

BTW, Mitch, what reaction are you doing that involves iodine?

Offline Scratch-

• Retired Staff
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2004, 12:18:04 PM »
Can you use the medicinal iodine used to steralize things?

Sponsored Links