March 28, 2024, 08:13:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Halogen gas lecture bottles?  (Read 5573 times)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Halogen gas lecture bottles?
« on: April 12, 2005, 01:13:48 PM »
I have recently been looking to aqquire small lecture bottles of halogen gases for lab use, chlorine I could liquify and store myself, and I have found one source dealing with lasers that sells a 1% mixture of fluorine diluted with helium, question is, anyone know of suppliers offering any higher concentration of F2, in either small cylinders or lecture bottles? because I am damn well not going to attempt liquifaction of fluorine gas in my lab :o

Thanks.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Halogen gas lecture bottles?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 03:50:04 PM »
Funny that you mention this, because I will soon be getting a sealed quartz ampoule containing a mixture of 33% F2 and 67% He.  I got it from the site http://www.elemente.at.cx/.  The payment went through today, and he will get in touch with me as soon as it ships.  (I also picked up some unoxidized, ampouled sodium and some amorphous red selenium).  According to the discussions I've had with the owner of the site, the quartz ampoules have been specifically treated to remove the -OH end caps and metal contamination that generally leads to the decomposition via fluorine gas.  The F2 has also been completely dried and diluted with the helium gas to prevent it from attacking the quartz.  He's had samples sealed up for quite some time now and says that there are no signs of damage.  For only 30 Euros for a pretty large sized ampoule, it might not hurt to give that a try.  Or you could perhaps talk to him about purchasing larger quantities in actual cylinders.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Re:Halogen gas lecture bottles?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 03:57:11 PM »
Thanks Jdurg, I will contact the owner of that site about it, I DO want an ampoule of F2 for my beginning element collection, but I wish to buy pressurised fluorine for actual use in chemistry also, and ampoules like that just arent suitable ;D
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Sponsored Links