April 16, 2024, 07:25:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dangerous to heat red phosphorus?  (Read 10548 times)

darrarje

Dangerous to heat red phosphorus?
« on: March 19, 2005, 07:05:19 PM »
ato
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 02:20:23 AM by darrarje »

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Re:Dangerous to heat red phosphorus?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 09:59:56 PM »
Yes, the res phosphorus did react with the air, I checked a few MSDS, and the results for autoignition temperature vary from 280-300 degrees celsius, that would be in keeping with the occurence of varying polymeric forms of the red allotrope of phosphorus.

The dark crap will likely be caseine gum from the match boxes (If my intuition about where the red P came from, and its use is correct 8) left, because of the fact that the HCl boiled off perhaps, before it could hydrolyse all the caseine, also, I would be careful giving MBRP a HCL boil, because some of the strikers contain antimony trisulfide as an ingredient, which would give extremely toxic hydrogen sulfide gas when heated with acids.

The fumes, if they had a nasty, garlic-type of smell, are indeed toxic, it would not do, to make a habit of inhaling phosphorus oxides, fortunately, red P burns in air, mainly to form the pentoxide, which is one of the less unpleasant ones, but definately, do not inhale oxides of phosphorus, most of them are highly toxic.

The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

chloral

Re:Dangerous to heat red phosphorus?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 08:25:18 AM »
Heating RP in the absence of air will lead to the formation of yellow phosphorus, YP is nasty stuff !

I once ignited a small pile of RP and put it out with water before it had all been converted to phosphorus pentoxide, after the water had evapourated the pile still smuldered (yellow phos' had formed in the middle of the pile).

Sponsored Links