April 27, 2024, 02:36:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nitrate and Phosphate . Please assist.  (Read 3907 times)

Offline acro al

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Nitrate and Phosphate . Please assist.
« on: March 27, 2008, 06:17:47 AM »
Hi, I am no chemistry man, but I am a reef aquarium keeper. I need to know how to measure Nitrate and Phosphate in seawater. The test kits offered only go down to 1ppm and I need to accurately see levels down to 0.001 - 0.100. I mean not a colour chart but a definete reading. Does anyone know where or how this can be done? Affordably? There is absolutely no info on the net.
The nitrate and phosphate in a tropical ocean reef is around 0.5 micro M. ( I assume Molar )
Have I converted it right to ppm?
Thankyou very much in advance..
Allan
0.5um Nitrate and phosphate is approx 0.03 - 0.04ppm (mg/L )

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Nitrate and Phosphate . Please assist.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 06:36:15 AM »
0.5um Nitrate and phosphate is approx 0.03 - 0.04ppm (mg/L )

Numbers seem OK.

However - not being reef man by myself, so only guessing -  if available kits go down to 1ppm only it either means that it impossible to go down further with this technology, or that there is no need for that in standard reef aquarium. I mean - if it is necessary, there is a market, if there is a market, sellers will show up from nowhere :)

Could be your aquarium is beyond standards, you will probably get couple of responses from others. I doubt in cheap solutions at this level.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links