April 27, 2024, 06:34:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I'm CONFUSED! How does hydrogen peroxide affect my saltwater battery?  (Read 3306 times)

Offline spitfirxe

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi,

I've been trying out a "saltwater battery", using aqeous sodium chloride (table salt) as my electrolyte and magnesium and copper as my electrodes. Without the inclusion of hydrogen peroxide (3%), the 1.5V bulb connected to it couldn/t light up, but with a small amt of peroxide poured in, the bulb is able to light up brightly. Why is that so?

Also, why is that the nearer i bring the electrodes together, the brighter the bulb would be?

Another qn is why will the solution turn purple and then to brown when peroxide is added?

I'm quite confused about the workings of my battery now, because there is so many questions running through my mind; anyone would so kindly explain to me how this kind of battery works?

The things i used are stated above.

Thanks a lot man! Feel free to email me at spitfirxe@gmail.com if you want to help me out, or post here!

Thanks!

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56

Dear Spitfirxe;

You ‘created’ two different kind of “batteries”, because also the Concentrations plays an important role!, not only if with or without “Peroxide”.

Brighter:  You created a “Real (world)” battery and that must be thought as a “Serial Combination” of an “Ideal Battery” with an “Internal Resistance”, and so, simple spoken, it depends on how long your “Internal Wire” will be (5%, 30%, 95%, etc.).
For an Idea about that you may read also on:  "Battery Construction”?

Purple:  What is your Assumption?

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Sponsored Links