April 29, 2024, 09:49:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: general synthesis for mercaptans  (Read 4009 times)

HiCas

general synthesis for mercaptans
« on: March 19, 2005, 12:17:35 PM »
This is an extra credit assignment that i was given because i opened my big mouth. I need to know what the general synthesis is for mercaptans or alkyl thiods. i think it has something to do with hydrogen bonds or oxygen and sulfer.

srchn4ansrs

Re:general synthesis for mercaptans
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 03:14:01 PM »
Thiols (R--SH) , also known as mercapatans, are sulfur analogs of alcohols. The systematic name of a thiol is formed by adding -thiol to the parent hydrocarbon name. Otherwise... tiols are named in the same was as alcohols.

Some examples: CH3CHsSH =Ethanethiol
                         CH3CH==CHCH2SH = 2-butene- 1 thiol

The thiols are important biologically because they occur as a funtional group in the amino acid cysteine, which is part of many proteins. Thiols most outstanding characteristic is it STINKS! Like skunk odor.

Thiols react with mild oxidizing agents such as Br2 in water to yield disulfieds, RS--SR. Two thiols join together in this reaction and the hydrogen is lost so a bond forms between the two sulfurs.

As a side note... the easy formation of S--S bonds between two cysteines helps pull large protien molecules into the shapes they need to function. Hair protien is unusuall rich in --S--S-- and --SH groups. So... when hair gets "permed" some disulfide bonds are broken and others are then formed changing the hair proteins to a different shape.

Srchn
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 03:26:43 PM by srchn4ansrs »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re:general synthesis for mercaptans
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 03:26:30 AM »
Alkyl halides+KHS (potassium hydrogen sulfide)
AWK

Sponsored Links