April 26, 2024, 06:16:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: If a reaction is not spontaneous is there any wayof making that reaction occur?  (Read 7025 times)

Offline Ahmed Abdullah

• Mole Snacks: +2/-3
Question Details: We know that
del G=del H - T(del S)

if del H is positive and del S is negative then del G is always positive. There is no way of making del G negative. My question is whether such a reaction take place at all (to any extent)?
thx
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:35:10 AM by Ahmed Abdullah »

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Question Details: We know that
del G=del H - T(del S)

if del H is positive and del S is negative then del G is always positive. There is no way of making del G negative. My question is whether such a reaction take place at all (to any extent)?thx
Sure.  It just means the reaction won't be spontaneous.  It doesn't mean that if you put in enough energy into reaction, you can't make it happen.

Offline Ahmed Abdullah

Does the form of energy matter?

I think heat energy cannot make the reaction happen. Because whatever high the temperature is the reaction is still unfavored by a positive change in free energy.
So it must involve some mechanical form of energy or some ordered form of energy (I don't know what it is).

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Oh, I see what you mean.  Yes, you do bring up a good point.  I agree, maybe something similar to a way that some enzymes work by bringing reactants closer together, or perhaps a change in temperature brings something from a gas phase to a liquid phase.  Not sure though, interesting question!

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Lower the transition state energy or make the products more stable and lower in energy.

Offline Ahmed Abdullah

I've finally learnt that:
If delta(G) of a reaction is positive, the reaction can also happen, it only have a lower equilibrium constant:
when delta(G) < 0 then K >1, when delta(G) = 0 then k = 1, when delta(G) > 0 then k < 1:
delta(G) = -RTlnK
If del G is positive the reaction will only occur if energy is supplied to force it away from the equilibrium position (i.e when del G=0). If del G is negative the reaction will proceed spontaneously to equilibrium.

Offline phenyl_ninja

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Lower the transition state energy or make the products more stable and lower in energy.

Lowering the transition state energy won't effect the thermodynamics/spontaneity of the reaction, just the rate at which it takes place.  Same thing goes for using an enzyme. Which basically accomplishes the same thing.

I've finally learnt that:
If delta(G) of a reaction is positive, the reaction can also happen, it only have a lower equilibrium constant:
when delta(G) < 0 then K >1, when delta(G) = 0 then k = 1, when delta(G) > 0 then k < 1:
delta(G) = -RTlnK
If del G is positive the reaction will only occur if energy is supplied to force it away from the equilibrium position (i.e when del G=0). If del G is negative the reaction will proceed spontaneously to equilibrium.

Yep, if delta(G)(o) is positive, this just means K is less than 1, products will still be formed in small quantities. 

On the other hand if delta(G), as opposed to delta(G)(o), is positive, the reaction will go backwards until equilibrium is reestablished. 

For understanding this sort of thing it's important to understand the difference between delta(G)(o) at standard conditions and regular old delta(G).

Offline Ahmed Abdullah

may you state the difference, please..

Sponsored Links