March 28, 2024, 06:12:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: P-Chem popularity?!  (Read 9302 times)

Offline 0000000

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-7
  • chemist
P-Chem popularity?!
« on: March 29, 2008, 04:50:46 PM »
Why i think that this part of the forum and of the Chemistry in general is not so popular?! :'(
...I can not understand...

p.s it's one of my favourites...
My name is Bond, Covalent Bond

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
Re: P-Chem popularity?!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 06:01:30 PM »
It all has to do with adequate preparation.  Just look at the description of this board:

"Learning about chemistry at its most fundamental level, physical chemistry encompasses quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and shop class for some... "

QUANTUM MECHANICS.....THERMODYAMICS....bring on attacks of CHEMOPHOBIA.!!!!!

That would and is intimidating to the person/student not adequatetly prepared.

Some sound advice for successful completion of a chemistry program:

I Like this man's advice-very sound:

LINK:  http://www.colorado.edu/chemistry/handbook/physical.htm

This woman makes some very important points:

LINK:  http://chemistry.about.com/od/homeworkhelp/tp/blfailchem.htm

From above article:

1. Procrastinating
Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow, right? Wrong! The first few days in a chemistry class may be very easy and could lull you into a false sense of security. Don't put off doing homework or studying until halfway through the class. Mastering chemistry requires you to build concept upon concept. If you miss the basics, you'll get yourself into trouble. Pace yourself. Set aside a small segment of time each day for chemistry. It will help you to gain long-term mastery. Don't cram.

2. Insufficient Math Preparation
Don't go into chemistry until you understand the basics of algebra. Geometry helps, too. You will need to be able to perform unit conversions. Expect to work chemistry problems on a daily basis. Don't rely too much on a calculator. Chemistry and physics use math as an essential tool.

3. Not Getting or Reading the Text
Yes, there are classes in which the text is optional or completely useless. This isn't one of those classes. Get the text. Read it! Ditto for any required lab manuals. Even if the lectures are fantastic, you'll need the book for the homework assignments. A study guide may be of limited use, but the basic text is a must-have.

4. Psyching Yourself Out
I think I can, I think I can... you have to have a positive attitude toward chemistry. If you truly believe you will fail you may be setting yourself up for a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you have prepared yourself for the class, you have to believe that you can be successful. Also, it's easier to study a topic you like than one you hate. Don't hate chemistry. Make your peace with it and master it.

5. Not Doing Your Own Work
Study guides and books with worked answers in the back are great, right? Yes, but only if you use them for help and not as an easy way to get your homework done. Don't let a book or classmates do your work for you. They won't be available during the tests, which will count for a big portion of your grade.

Then, there is the aspect ...people like what they like...not everyone is going to have an interest in Physical Chemistry...it is all relative !!!!

Offline chrisbb

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 09:03:56 PM »
Its very true. I dont really enjoy P. Chem, but i've got just over a semster left now and I have NO choice it taking it or not! You deff. have to have a good math background and know basic chem too. I'd rather not be taking it, but as some of my teachers say -- "SUCK IT UP & get on with it!"  ;D

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 01:28:26 AM »
Personally, I loved P-Cem.  Could not get enough of it.  It worked in nicely with my desire to get more inorganic and quantum.

I completely back-up chrissbb.  I began my college career in chemistry taking frctions and decimals...worked my way up to PD-EQ.  The more math I took the easier it got-(always thankful to Dr. Patricelli who told me if I ever wanted to amount to anything in Chemistry, specifically in Physical Chemistry,  I should take a math class per semester-"Consider it like taking a vitamin pill").  The core only required Calculus II. The students who did well in P-Chem went on to complete Calculus III.

And Chem I....it is so important to have a very strong foundation in Chem I...I can step up to the plate and tell you my lowest grade in my chemistry program was Chem I....I am sort of a perfectionist-wanted to take it over again....My Professors advised against it...told me MOVE ON....I did...My grades soared....And then, eventually,  I taught Chem I for a number of years...and I can tell you no matter how many times I teach it...I see something I did not see before...like a differnt perspective...and that would be true of my friends who teach it as well!!!!

There is an old expression:  "You never really know your subject matter until you can teach it."

You need to have the right tools (math, math, more math, basic chemistry, basic physics....then you can make it)..BUT You also have to LIKE what you are doing...if you do not LIKE what you are doing...it will never gel.

I believe that it is a great thing that there are so many choices people have...so many areas in Chemistry they can choose to contribute to....many cross-over areas have curriculm inclusive of P-Chem courses that have been specially designed for those disciplines.

I do not think that this section of the forum is neglected...and I have seen some awesome responses to alot of questions up here...esp. Thermodynamics....(not my personal favorite-I prefer Quantum)....If you peruse the General Chemistry forum you can see there are many questions regarding Thermo, Kinetics, some Baby Quantum...maybe not as advanced as what this forum was intended to address...but asked and answered none-the-less.  That is a start....perhaps those same people will ask their more advanced questions in this forum....they have not gotten to that level yet....

So in conclusion:  "HONK IF YOU PASSED P-CHEM"   ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 01:32:12 AM by Alpha-Omega »

Offline chrisbb

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 07:55:23 AM »
lol i can't honk just yet.. but i know im passing :)
I'll come back and Honk when its an official pass!

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 12:46:48 PM »
I really enjoyed p-chem because I came into my advanced p-chem classes with a very good math background which helped everything make sense.  I could see that quantum mechanics is essentially applied linear algebra, which (to a math nerd like myself) was awesome.

But, by the same token, I'd say one's comfort level with math is the determining factor of whether one will enjoy p-chem.  Most students are probably put off by p-chem because they lack the necessary background in math.

Offline Structuralist

• Mole Snacks: +6/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 08:18:37 AM »
P-Chem is my love ;D
Structure Chemistry and Physical Chemistry are the most fundamental branches of chemistry (and of the science at all).

Sponsored Links