April 25, 2024, 07:36:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Neutralization of Acids  (Read 7184 times)

Offline Kalvin11

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Neutralization of Acids
« on: April 02, 2008, 03:31:04 PM »
What happens to the calculated neutralization strength of an antacid if you overshoot the end point in adding NaOH to the relieved stomach fluid in an upset stomach neutralization experiment?

I am having trouble with this question.  I was thinking that if too much NaOH was added to the relieved "stomach acid" it would appear as if the antacid was less effective than it actually was...but I am stuck after that. Thank you in advance for your input.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 04:33:43 PM by Kalvin11 »

Offline MrOHBrown

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Neutralization of Acids
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 05:52:37 AM »
MORE INFO PLEASE!

I googled "Neutralization strength" and the second listing was seriously this thread...

I can't imagine anything happening apart form the metals and hydroxides passing through us with little consequence, and that normal digestion will resume once this has happened and the pH has dropped again.
Cause we are all made of stars...

Offline Rabn

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-13
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »
if you overshoot the titration it will appear as though there was more acid than there really was when you do your calculations.  conversely it will apear as though it it took more "antacid" than if you stopped at the end point correctly.  how would you rate the effectiveness of A compared to B if it took more A to do the same job as B? that should help you out. in this case A and B are the same, A is the overshoot and B is the correctly stopped titration.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 08:16:28 AM »
I googled "Neutralization strength" and the second listing was seriously this thread...

That is a very common occurrence for threads started here.  Google mines this forum constantly.  Everything mentioned here appears at least on the first Google page.  Google should give Mitch a cut of their profits.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links