April 26, 2024, 08:19:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: plastic (abs) plating  (Read 14601 times)

Offline dionl

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
plastic (abs) plating
« on: April 03, 2008, 06:22:54 AM »
Hi ;D
is there anybody who is concerned about plastic plating. I have documents that is standard and I am trying to work on activation process to improve :-\ ın activation the palladium is used and I want to find alternative way or chemical instead of palladium, because it is very expensive  :o

Offline dionl

Re: plastic (abs) plating
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 03:44:31 AM »
Hi ;D
is there anybody who is concerned about plastic plating. I have documents that is standard and I am trying to work on activation process to improve :-\ ın activation the palladium is used and I want to find alternative way or chemical instead of palladium, because it is very expensive  :o

again me  ::)  I wanted to inform about the abs plating cycle,
etching...neutralizing...activating ( in which the metal palladium is used and my question was about an alternative to palladium ???)...accelerating...electroless nickel...acid copper...electrolitic nickel.

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 11:54:55 AM »

Dear Dionl;

Do you know: PVD and PECVD?,   ─  But I think it’s at least similar expensive!
Replacements for Ni/Palladium in pre-treatment, I don’t know.

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline dionl

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 07:06:50 AM »

Dear Dionl;

Do you know: PVD and PECVD?,   ─  But I think it’s at least similar expensive!
Replacements for Ni/Palladium in pre-treatment, I don’t know.

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Hi, I'm sorry I don't understand your offer to me  ??? where is PECVD is used in which stage is it used?

Offline kevins

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-6
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 10:32:56 AM »
As I remember, stannous chloride solution is used (mix with??) before the palladium chloride. The function of Pd is act as a catalyst and provide the nucleus site for the nickel or copper in electroless plating. Other types of noble metal (such as Platinum  :o expensive) can be used.

Offline dionl

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 04:08:39 AM »
As I remember, stannous chloride solution is used (mix with??) before the palladium chloride. The function of Pd is act as a catalyst and provide the nucleus site for the nickel or copper in electroless plating. Other types of noble metal (such as Platinum  :o expensive) can be used.
Hi, kevins,,,
can cobalt as a noble metal be used ? (It is cheaper than palladium.  :P)

Offline kevins

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-6
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 11:43:31 AM »
Sorry, no further information for cobalt.

Please search the following paper:
"Investigation of Palladium-Free Activation Process for Electroless Nickel Plating of ABS Plastic"
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 04:14:44 AM by kevins »

Offline Yafmot

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 09:00:15 PM »
    You were a little vague as to the application. Is it for some kind of surface catalysis? Is it for some kind of photonic or RF reflection? Is it just ornamental? If it's either of the latter two, then there are lots of other metals that can be applied, either with Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD), Vacuum Sputtering, or other means.

Any company that does metallizing for sunglasses, helmet visors, digital discs and the like should probably be able to help you out. Ultramet (Pacoima, CA.) has been applying Platinum Group Metals with CVD longer than anybody, and has quite a bit of experience with catalytic coatings, if this is what you need.

Offline dionl

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 06:56:57 AM »
    You were a little vague as to the application. Is it for some kind of surface catalysis? Is it for some kind of photonic or RF reflection? Is it just ornamental? If it's either of the latter two, then there are lots of other metals that can be applied, either with Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD), Vacuum Sputtering, or other means.

Any company that does metallizing for sunglasses, helmet visors, digital discs and the like should probably be able to help you out. Ultramet (Pacoima, CA.) has been applying Platinum Group Metals with CVD longer than anybody, and has quite a bit of experience with catalytic coatings, if this is what you need.
Hi Yafmot, I didn't understand you :-\ My question was about the process abs plating. and the third bath of the process is palladium solution. and it is expensive , I asked can I use an alternative chemical instead of palladium that is cheaper?

Sponsored Links