April 24, 2024, 06:48:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Unknown Alcohol  (Read 19264 times)

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
Re: Unknown Alcohol
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 12:27:36 PM »
OK!
I searched the web for IR's of 4 clostest possible esters, and then worked backwards to gain the alochol. I have determined that it could possibly be THIS!

n-propyl alochol!
LMK what you all think about the choice.

But there is one thing, the BP and RI do not match 100%, and suggestions to why that could be?!  :-\
Thanks again,

Chris

BP's and RI's done in undergrad labs are almost never accurate.  If they are close that is sufficient.  You should be able to explain your whole process of investigation and determination.  Write out the timeline and the series of steps that you took to determine that your alcohol is n-propanol.  You should have reasons why and why not but this is chemistry.  Like AWK said, none of the data you took can determine your alcohol indefinetly but what is important is that you are learning and figuring out the devotion it takes.  Keep up the good work.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 12:28:56 PM »
And your IR compares well.  ;)
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline chrisbb

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 02:31:13 PM »
lo thank you.
i'll let you know what it was when i get it back :)

Sponsored Links