April 25, 2024, 04:00:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Polarity of maltose  (Read 9748 times)

VroomVroom

Polarity of maltose
« on: March 23, 2005, 06:25:26 PM »
Hey, anyone know the overall polarity of maltose? (polar or nonpolar)  I also need to know why maltose is polar/nonpolar overall.

So far, I found the differences of electronegativities and determined that the oxygens in maltose (C12H22O11) form dipoles with the hydrogen atoms and the carbon atoms they are bonded to.  I saw that the majority of the molecule has dipoles so I think that overall maltose should be polar.  

Are there other more valid reasons for why maltose is polar or is that it? Or am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for trying to help.  :)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Polarity of maltose
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 09:10:06 PM »
Your reasoning is fine.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

savoy7

Re:Polarity of maltose
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 03:27:07 AM »
You asked, "Are there other more valid reasons for why maltose is polar or is that it? Or am I wrong?"

I concur with Mitch.  Some other ways to get a quick answer for polarity (- not always correct) is to think about it's ability to dissolve in water.  Usually, water dissolves polar and doesn't dissolve nonpolar.  Sugar dissolves in water, so on a quick glance, it's polar.  Other tricks:  hydroxyl groups can point to being polar & symmetry - the hydroxyl groups on the sugar are not balanced out , which also points towards it being polar.

Again one of the best ways is to look at the structure and if it has dipoles, which is what you did.

Sponsored Links