Chemistry Forums for Students > High School Chemistry Forum

Polarity of maltose

(1/1)

VroomVroom:
Hey, anyone know the overall polarity of maltose? (polar or nonpolar)  I also need to know why maltose is polar/nonpolar overall.

So far, I found the differences of electronegativities and determined that the oxygens in maltose (C12H22O11) form dipoles with the hydrogen atoms and the carbon atoms they are bonded to.  I saw that the majority of the molecule has dipoles so I think that overall maltose should be polar.  

Are there other more valid reasons for why maltose is polar or is that it? Or am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for trying to help.  :)

Mitch:
Your reasoning is fine.

savoy7:
You asked, "Are there other more valid reasons for why maltose is polar or is that it? Or am I wrong?"

I concur with Mitch.  Some other ways to get a quick answer for polarity (- not always correct) is to think about it's ability to dissolve in water.  Usually, water dissolves polar and doesn't dissolve nonpolar.  Sugar dissolves in water, so on a quick glance, it's polar.  Other tricks:  hydroxyl groups can point to being polar & symmetry - the hydroxyl groups on the sugar are not balanced out , which also points towards it being polar.

Again one of the best ways is to look at the structure and if it has dipoles, which is what you did.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version