April 24, 2024, 12:00:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How do I determine the chemical I get from this reaction  (Read 3501 times)

Offline zabavadad

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How do I determine the chemical I get from this reaction
« on: April 10, 2008, 03:06:04 PM »
When I add citric acid 10% solution to  a few drops of 13% Sodium Hypochlorite solution, it reacts for a minute or two (bubbles but apparantly not chlorine gas ) and the result is a still a clear, very "chlorine" smelling liquid.  How do I determine what the resulting chemical is? Sorry my chemistry knowledge is from yearrrrrs ago in college. Many thanks to anyone who can help. The 13% Sodium Hypochlorite was yellow but becomes clear after the "reaction"...which may just be a change in PH...I just haven't a clue what might be different at the end.

I realize this probably produces chlorine gas, but we are talking a few drops of "bleach" and a little citric acid.  The thing I am interested in is what is left after some of the chlorine "gasses off".  I am very aware of the safety issues. Just need to know what the probable composition of the remaining liquid might be.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 06:39:45 PM by zabavadad »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How do I determine the chemical I get from this reaction
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »
Adding mild household acids to household bleach causes the release of chlorine gas.  I'm sure Heloise mentioned it at least once in her column of household hints.  Back in the day, when I had a chemistry set, back when they existed, and actually had chemicals, the test for chlorine gas was it's bleaching power -- moist dyed cloth held in the fumes would lose it's color.  But that's a long way to go, for very little useful information.  Just don't mix stuff with the Clorox, and you'll be better off.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline zabavadad

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 08:21:29 PM »
Hi,
I appreciate the response, however I just REALLY would like to find out what has changed and what the composition of the liquid might be after the chlorine gasses off... if you don't know, could you possibly point me in the direction of how to find out??  Thanks

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:45:49 PM »
Can you write a balanced chemical reaction, using the chemical formulas of the reactants and products?  You know what you start with, you know one thing you get chlorine gas, we don't create or destroy elements (well, I don't, maybe Mitch and friends do), so what's left?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links