March 28, 2024, 03:33:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to get tetraammonium platinate from H2[PtCl6]  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Georgia

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to get tetraammonium platinate from H2[PtCl6]
« on: March 07, 2008, 05:54:12 AM »
Dear chemists,
looking kind of desperate after several attempts on the lab I am asking for your help. I have a Dihydrogen hexachloroplatinate hydrate reactant and I am trying to create the complex tetraammonium platinate cation [Pt(NH3)4]2+, in order to use it in a zeolite ion exchange. Any ideas?
if I mix it with pure ammonia do I have any chances for it?

Cheers
a Physicist  ::)

Offline KhemistKen

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: How to get tetraammonium platinate from H2[PtCl6]
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 02:44:34 PM »
It's been years since I made Pt(NH3)4Cl, and unfortunately, my lab books are all packed up as we are moving to another building.  I'm pretty sure the synthesis is listed in one of the early volume of "Inorganic Synthesis" by printed by Wiley & Co., but I no longer have access to that book. It's not an uncommon book in chemistry libraries.  I'm think you are going to have to reduce the Pt (in the H2PtCL6) to the +2 state as the first step, since I believe the prep starts out with H2PtCl4.  IIRC, the prep does involve the addition of aqueous ammonia, but I do not remember the steps at all.  You will definitely want to find a written prep somewhere as just adding ammonia isn't going to give you what you want.

Offline shelanachium

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +12/-0
Re: How to get tetraammonium platinate from H2[PtCl6]
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 03:45:22 AM »
The correct name for [Pt(NH3)4]2+ is not tetrammonium platinate but tetrammineplatinum(II) ion, if this is indeed what you wanted.

Sponsored Links