April 27, 2024, 10:46:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Molecular modelling programs  (Read 8854 times)

Offline shelanachium

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +12/-0
Molecular modelling programs
« on: April 02, 2008, 03:13:30 PM »
Hi!

I used to have Chem3D from Cambridgesoft but my computer blew up and I lost it. This last happened 4 years ago and they replaced it free, saying I'd already paid for it. Contacted them again but no reply. Sure I should have put it on disc (they sent it to me by Net) but I've moved 4 times since and lost disc.

Any free molecular modelling programs online that you'd recommend? Or any others recommended but not too pricey?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Molecular modelling programs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 09:11:29 PM »
Are we talking complicated biological molecules, or just standard low molecular weight (less then ~250AMU) molecules?

Because those kind (low MW) can be done in ChemSketch free.

Offline shelanachium

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +12/-0
Re: Molecular modelling programs
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
No, sorry, it's often complicated ones, up to 1,000 atoms, that I used to do on Chem3D. Often very complex inorganic structures and possible allotropes of carbon with unit cells containing hundreds of atoms. For example, one based on dodecahedra of C atoms nested inside shells of 80 also with icosahedral symmetry, all linked up in a cubic lattice with other polyhedra in between. See what I mean? Often very beautiful indeed, even to those who know no chemistry, like a friend's 4-year old son who sat spellbound... I've always hated the divorce of Science from the Arts.

Sponsored Links