April 23, 2024, 02:12:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Equipment needed for this neutralisation?  (Read 3557 times)

Offline HDW

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Equipment needed for this neutralisation?
« on: April 12, 2008, 04:47:12 AM »
Hi guys

I need to collect the hydrogen gas from the following experiment:

1. 1.00 mol dm-3 aqueous HCL reacting with Na (or should I use Fe, less reactive?  safer?) and

2. 1.00 mol dm-3 aqueous H2SO4 reacting with Na (Or should I use Fe, less reactive?  safer)

Which will produce hydrogen.  How could I collect this gas?  What kind of equipment would I need to carry out the whole experiment?

Thanks for any info

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Equipment needed for this neutralisation?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 09:15:41 AM »
Hi guys

I need to collect the hydrogen gas from the following experiment:

1. 1.00 mol dm-3 aqueous HCL reacting with Na (or should I use Fe, less reactive?  safer?) and

2. 1.00 mol dm-3 aqueous H2SO4 reacting with Na (Or should I use Fe, less reactive?  safer)

Which will produce hydrogen.  How could I collect this gas?  What kind of equipment would I need to carry out the whole experiment?

Thanks for any info

A basic chemistry course would be a start.  You'd learn how dangerous free sodium is, and how expensive it is to get, not the mention the risks associated with hydrogen gas.  You'd learn that sodium metal is such a powerful Lewis base, (and that is a different use of the word base, as opposed to Arrhenius definition you're using) that even a weak Lewis acid, like water is enough to produce hydrogen.  You'd learn about balancing chemical reactions, and that as a raw material for hydrogen gas production, the acids you mentioned are equivalent.  And yes, collection of small quantities of gases is usually covered early on.

But you are nowhere near ready to perform this experiment safely.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 01:17:13 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links