April 16, 2024, 06:47:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to solublize much Caffeine in H2O at room temperature?  (Read 7574 times)

Offline patbj968

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi everyone! (my first post on this forum)

How can I solublize much caffeine in H2O at room temperature without making the solution unhealthy? Is it by any means possible to obtain a more concentrated solution than 22 mg·mL−1 ( at 25 °C) for example by adding EtOH, Ascorbic Acid or some sort of salt.

My idea is to boost my morning Tea with a few drips (as few as possible  :)) of concentrated caffeine solution.

Thank you! // Patrik

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How to solublize much Caffeine in H2O at room temperature?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 11:41:26 AM »
Caffeine is an alkaloid.  That means it's an organic base, it is a series of aromatic and aliphatic rings with nitrogen atoms  -- many substances that influence the human body have similar structures.  Can you use this information to figure out how to dissolve more caffeine in solution?  Hint: How do tea and coffee "dissolve" caffeine?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 04:48:51 PM »
A much easier solution would be to simply buy a concentrated caffeine solution or drink and add some of that.  I know Upshot has 200mg of caffeine in 2 oz.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 05:21:22 PM »
My thing, back in the day, was to split and crush half of a No Doz, add one of those fizzy vitamin powders, dissolve it up in cold water, and try to slam it down while fizzing.  Sort of a DIY Red Bull, instead of brewing a morning cup of coffee for just me, particularly in the hottest part of the summer.  Problem was, between caffeine and the excipients, the No-Doz never really dissolved.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline patbj968

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 07:11:50 PM »
thanks for your answers!

Caffeine is an alkaloid.  That means it's an organic base, it is a series of aromatic and aliphatic rings with nitrogen atoms  -- many substances that influence the human body have similar structures.  Can you use this information to figure out how to dissolve more caffeine in solution?  Hint: How do tea and coffee "dissolve" caffeine?

I guess you imply that adding some kind of acid (Ascorbic maybe) to protonate one of the nitrogenatoms in Caffeine is the most effective way to solve it, it makes sense to me any way   :)

But how does different salts and EtOH influence the Caffeine solibility? I thought that EtOH may take care of the three methylgroups.

A much easier solution would be to simply buy a concentrated caffeine solution or drink and add some of that.  I know Upshot has 200mg of caffeine in 2 oz.

I have got Caffeine tablets i can use anytime, this is for fun more than need  ;)

Sponsored Links