April 26, 2024, 06:30:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: FERROCENE SYNTHESIS: PLEASE HELP !!  (Read 18526 times)

ChemBoy81

FERROCENE SYNTHESIS: PLEASE HELP !!
« on: March 27, 2005, 01:48:46 AM »
Hi Everyone;

I am writing a report on Ferrocene synthesis where the usual procedure is to add the Iron(II) chloride tetrahydrate slowly drop-wise over 30 minutes. I was hoping if you guys could explain to me why this addtion is done so Slowly (Please go into detail if you can...)

My second question was why the iron-cyclopendiene mixture then added to Cold HCl?

Thanks a MIllion !!

cst2

Re:FERROCENE SYNTHESIS: PLEASE HELP !!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 02:53:37 PM »
i believe that in http://imr.chem.binghamton.edu/labs/ferrocene/ferrocene.html, it says that
Cyclopentadiene undergoes a 4+2 cycloaddition to form dicyclopentadiene
 perhaps this is the reason why? if you know about the diels-alders reaction then you'd know what they meant by the 4+2 cycloaddition part http://www.usm.maine.edu/~newton/Chy251_253/Lectures/Pericyclic/Pericyclic.html ...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 02:55:02 PM by cst2 »

corey2

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 03:01:41 PM »
cyclopentadiene is extremely reactive, even with itself, generating a dimer. Cyclopentadiene should be fractionally distilled and stored in a refrigerator before using.
 HCl is used to quench the residual sodium or potassium salt of cyclopentadiene.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 03:04:10 PM by corey2 »

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 04:29:14 PM »
The reason why many reagents are added dropwise involves heat.  Chemical reactions are generally exothermic and produce large amounts of heat.  The heat can present a safety hazard if not controlled properly and it can lead to undesirable side reactions (such as the DCPD formation from cyclopentadiene that was referenced).  I agree with corey2 as to why HCl would be used in the second step, to react with the excess or unreacted cyclopentadienyl anion.

coldest

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 09:44:51 AM »

My second question was why the iron-cyclopendiene mixture then added to Cold HCl?

but I think iron-cyclopendiene could react with HCl

Offline angie

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: FERROCENE SYNTHESIS: PLEASE HELP !!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 04:32:09 PM »
hi everyone,
does anyone know why is it necessary to exclude air when preparing ferrocene? if reactants are air stable, and also, why ferocene sublimes so readily while acetylferrocene doesnt?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: FERROCENE SYNTHESIS: PLEASE HELP !!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 08:08:45 AM »
Fe2+ salts are unstable on air
AWK

Sponsored Links