April 28, 2024, 02:37:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis of 5-(Aminomethyl)-3(2H)-isoxazolone  (Read 6310 times)

Offline Feelers

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Synthesis of 5-(Aminomethyl)-3(2H)-isoxazolone
« on: April 13, 2008, 02:34:17 AM »
I'm looking to synthesize the below chemical, however this is beyond my knowledge in organic chemistry. I've done some first and second year college papers, but creating a molecule from scratch is very confusing, I really don't know where to start. There is a paper on this process but isn't available free online.

5-(Aminomethyl)-3(2H)-isoxazolone
CAS number    [18174-72-6]

I'm not looking for industrial amounts, even 5 grams would be fine and I may pass the process on to a company to produce for me. If the process is simple enough I may be able to do it myself with my limited equipment.

1)Can you think of an available, cheap and hopefully common precursor that could start as a starting block creation of this molecule?

2)What steps would be involved in the process?

I really didn't know where to go to answer these questions, any help or points in the right direction would be much appreciated. Also if anyone has an idea, what would be the likely cost to have this produced for me, say 10g worth? Are we talking $400 from an online company or thousands?

Many thanks,  ;D

Offline Rico

• Mole Snacks: +30/-0
Re: Synthesis of 5-(Aminomethyl)-3(2H)-isoxazolone
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 05:56:16 AM »
Hey Feelers.

I've looked up a prize for Muscimol (the compound you wanted) and I found that it can be bought from sigmaaldrich, 25 mg for around 530 $ so its quite expensive if you need it on a gram scale.
If you want to synthesize it yourself I found an articel describing its synthesis in four steps (Chem.Pharm.Bull.,1985,33,1083-1087) and I have attached a jpeg file where I have drawn the steps.

I hope this is of help to you

Rico

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 06:53:16 AM »
Perhaps the cheapest way is just to extract it from natural sources:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscimol  -- if you absolutely must have cut-rate psychedelics.  The source is a pretty common, and highly noticeable, class of mushrooms you can find in North America and Europe.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Feelers

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 03:09:52 AM »
Hi guys thank you very much for your responses.  ;D

Yes this chemical is found in the amanita mushroom, and it is the season at the moment. What would I do for the extraction? I've heard its a large undertaking, 125 pounds of fresh material to end up with a few grams of product, the person actually sold the product to the pharm companies. I could easily find that many amanitas and dessicate them but I wouldn't know how to get a pure product through an extraction, presumably loads of other organics would remain also.

In my country (New Zealand)  benzlypiperazzine has just become legislated, and its "creators", ie the first people to market them literally made millions of dollars. My plan is to possibly make a standardized dose that could be marketed as a legal entheogen in their place.

Sponsored Links