April 18, 2024, 05:35:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Assessment of biogas capacity from anaerobic digesters  (Read 53429 times)

Offline Polleke

• Mole Snacks: +10/-12
Re: Assessment of biogas capacity from anaerobic digesters
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2008, 07:51:36 AM »
it would be okay after i graduate cause i will be doing the research design my own way,,,but this thesis work...i am under control of some panelists...i told them that of they woul let me decide what to do ill just do a monitoring of the pH,Temp,alkalinity,TS,VS and COD thats all...
weeeewww tak about my faculty i cant understand them
;Dhéhé

Oh well, it will all work out ok.
Do not let them scare you or panic.

Any luck with the info I gave you? The links and email adress etc?

You did receice that email and personal message I send you here?

Offline Gerard

• Mole Snacks: +13/-13
  • "pressure makes diamond"
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2008, 09:37:43 AM »
yes i did recieved the files,thank you for that and i used it as a part of my review of literature,i also shared the websites to another group because they will be fabricating a UASB and a stirred tank anaerobic reactor, it really helped us all...
thank you...
and alas!last defense of the proposals is on August 2, wish me luck...
"Charles! Charles! That's it Mr. Charles Darwin get out of this room, I told you once and I told you twice not to tease your fellow Mr. Arrhenius!"

Offline Polleke

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2008, 09:39:21 AM »
yes i did recieved the files,thank you for that and i used it as a part of my review of literature,i also shared the websites to another group because they will be fabricating a UASB and a stirred tank anaerobic reactor, it really helped us all...
thank you...
and alas!last defense of the proposals is on August 2, wish me luck...

oh 2 august allready!
Thats in +- 1 week.

Well good luck then.

But after the defense of the proposals its all over? or it continues?

Offline Gerard

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2008, 09:41:37 AM »
the agony lives on until the first week of january...
after the proposal we have to collect the data ,analyze it then process it for another defense...and this time it will be a defense that will determine if you pass the course or redo the whole research....
"Charles! Charles! That's it Mr. Charles Darwin get out of this room, I told you once and I told you twice not to tease your fellow Mr. Arrhenius!"

Offline Gerard

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2008, 10:29:34 AM »
uhm one more thing do you have any info about bowl centrifuge for liquid-liquid separation?

Offline Polleke

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2008, 11:36:55 AM »
the agony lives on until the first week of january...
after the proposal we have to collect the data ,analyze it then process it for another defense...and this time it will be a defense that will determine if you pass the course or redo the whole research....

Oh I see.

uhm one more thing do you have any info about bowl centrifuge for liquid-liquid separation?

Maybe, I'll have to check that.
I'll let you know if I find something.

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2008, 01:14:31 AM »
Hello artificial student,

I have not seen bowl centrifuges used for liquid-liquid separation, but have been used very successfully for liquid-solid separation in the oilfield on a daily basis.

Liquid-liquid separation will remove dispersed material, but not soluble material.  For example, oil dispersed into water can be separated with a high enough force, but dissolved salt (unsaturated sodium chloride) in water will not be separated by the bowl centrifuges I am familiar with.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline Gerard

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2008, 11:54:52 AM »
that is the problem you see uhm i was assigned to do a research on the Bowl Centrifuge used in Liquid-Liquid Separation, i wonder what is the relationship to that with anaerobic digesters....anyway my proposal defense will be on august 5...
thank you all guys for helping me out wiht my thesis...i will need them more in the research proper...

Offline eugenedakin

• Retired Staff
    • Personal Website
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2008, 08:15:38 PM »

Hmmm.. interesting ... I am familiar with Bowl Centrifuges which are used in Biogas systems to remove the solids from liquids (which there are many), not the liquid-liquid separation. What liquids are you planning on separating?

The solids are removed from the liquids to minimize the solid material which can no longer be degraded.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline Gerard

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2008, 11:31:22 AM »
tanks eugene for the clue...
can i ask?what is the main disadvantage of using COD compared to TSS and VSS?

Offline eugenedakin

• Retired Staff
    • Personal Website
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2008, 07:44:57 PM »

The two tests are very different, and the meaning for each of these tests are different. COD takes a long time (relatively speaking, such as 4 hours). TSS takes very little time (5 min to 30 min).

The disadvantage of using COD is that of time, but it is more accurate from a disposal point of view. TSS doesnt really tell you much about disposal, just the solids.

Sincerely,

Eugene

Offline Gerard

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2008, 12:15:39 PM »
i was requested by my adviser to use only TS and VS to approximate the biodegradable amount of the solid waste manure..then one of my research mates asked me why i used TS and VS instead of COD i repiled that COD determines the whole carbonaceous compound in terms of oxygen demend not the biodegradable ones only and i also said that solid waste manure is quite difficult when treated for COD analysis...
am i right? by the way i will be designing a packed bed (immobilized cell bed) fermenter this is for my bioprocessing equipment design...i will also be asking for some guide tips about this soon if its okay with oyu guys...

Offline eugenedakin

• Retired Staff
    • Personal Website
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2008, 11:40:12 PM »

You mentioned:

then one of my research mates asked me why i used TS and VS instead of COD i repiled that COD determines the whole carbonaceous compound in terms of oxygen demend not the biodegradable ones only and i also said that solid waste manure is quite difficult when treated for COD analysis... am i right?

Hmm.. very good question, with a difficult answer. COD more represents a measurement of the organic compound in water (such as pollutants) which is often a measure of water quality. If you wanted to know the ability of a material to degrade, this is the test you would want to perform.

Total Suspended Solids was (in the old books) called non-filterable residue (NFR). If your worried about solids plugging your system, this is the test you would want to have.

There are many aspects to consider, and I hope this helps with the discussion between you and your collegue.

Great question!

Sincerely,

Eugene

Offline Gerard

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2008, 11:02:53 AM »
we all debated about which method to use with sludge that contains more solid than liquid...
i agree with using the COD if the sample was mixed solid liqour (more of a liqufied animal maure) but i also said that if the waste we are going to analyze is really solid manure then we better use VS analysis to determine the biodegradable part.....still the debate is on and we are trying to prove our claims by doing the experiment.
alas you gave me another point of significance why i included TS in my studies that is to determine if the waste coming inside my digester contains enough solid to clog up the whole equipement..

thanks eugene..
p.s with regards to my research proposal it was nose bleed, all of the reviewrs were asking questions at the same time i cant determine which one i will entertain first!

Offline Gerard

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2008, 10:13:37 AM »
this topic is now close!

thank you all for the help, it made my study both technical and conceptual in terms of the environmental engineering part, again thank you all

-gerard d. ompad

Sponsored Links