April 26, 2024, 06:15:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical Engineering Schedule Fall 08  (Read 10173 times)

Offline undcvrbro1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemical Engineering Schedule Fall 08
« on: April 14, 2008, 11:21:14 PM »
A new freshman...I just tested into Calc 1(the highest you can at my uni) and this is my schedule I just finished today:
CHEM151 Principles of Chemistry 1
CHEM152 Principles of Chemistry Lab
ENG111 English Comp 1
MATH221Analytic Geometry Calculus 1
CHEME101 Tools For Chemical Engineering
CHEME110 Project Management & Teamwork
PHYSED190Begining Weight Training

Not too shabby. It's quite exhilarating knowing that this is as easy as it will get..
This is all required by my college...but does this look similar to other undergrad schedules? My college is ABET accredited so I figured this should be about right.  Any other comments...what classes look tougher than others?(please remember I'm still a mere undergrad...I need to know what was easy for you when you were in my position).

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Chemical Engineering Schedule Fall 08
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 11:31:34 PM »
A new freshman...I just tested into Calc 1(the highest you can at my uni) and this is my schedule I just finished today:
CHEM151 Principles of Chemistry 1
CHEM152 Principles of Chemistry Lab
ENG111 English Comp 1
MATH221Analytic Geometry Calculus 1
CHEME101 Tools For Chemical Engineering
CHEME110 Project Management & Teamwork
PHYSED190Begining Weight Training
You are taking all of those at once?  How long are your semesters?  How many credits is that?

The typical student at my school takes between 15-20 credits a semester and that usually averages out to 5 or 6 classes.  I'm surprised though for an incoming freshman they have you loaded up like that (unless they are low credit classes).

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:53:15 PM »
It just looks like he is taking a Chem, Math, English class. The rest looks like fluff.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline undcvrbro1

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 08:27:07 AM »
You are taking all of those at once?  How long are your semesters?  How many credits is that?

The typical student at my school takes between 15-20 credits a semester and that usually averages out to 5 or 6 classes.  I'm surprised though for an incoming freshman they have you loaded up like that (unless they are low credit classes).
Semesters are like from August-December...the average semester type I suppose.  I believe there is only 17 credits total.  Mitch is right. Project Mngmnt & Teamwork, Tools for ChemE, and Begining Weight training all sound like "fluff" (but required by my college anyway so whatever, higher GPA for me).

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 08:36:02 AM »
I wouldn't call them fluff, they still will have assignments that take up your time, classes to attend, term papers to write, probably a beginning project to do.  Don't know how they'll grade weight training, but it's nice that your university has a requirement that directs you towards good health.  Are you commuting to college, or do you live on campus, because a full schedule can make commuting a bit of a hassle.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 12:04:33 PM »
I wouldn't call them fluff, they still will have assignments that take up your time, classes to attend, term papers to write, probably a beginning project to do.
Indeed, that was more my point.  The classes don't look out of line, just a little surprised by the load (as in, the number of classes).  17 credits and 5 classes is easier in my opinion than 7 classes in 17 credits, just because each class still takes up time.  Although, looking at our undergrad bulliten, freshman ChemEs take:
Introduction to the Profession (Fluff intro class)
Calc I
Principles of Chem
Intro to computer Programming
Humanities Elective
16 Total Credits
Are you commuting to college, or do you live on campus, because a full schedule can make commuting a bit of a hassle.
In addition, living on campus can really help meet people and also provide you with more opportunities to find people in the same major and work together.

Offline undcvrbro1

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 04:01:22 PM »
I wouldn't call them fluff, they still will have assignments that take up your time, classes to attend, term papers to write, probably a beginning project to do.  Don't know how they'll grade weight training, but it's nice that your university has a requirement that directs you towards good health.
When I used the term fluff I meant for it to mean that perhaps the concepts may be simpler and the workload may be less than that of a class like Chem 1.  I understand that there is no such thing as an easy course in college, just relatively easy courses.  I suppose I should have used a different term than "fluff".

Are you commuting to college, or do you live on campus, because a full schedule can make commuting a bit of a hassle.

In addition, living on campus can really help meet people and also provide you with more opportunities to find people in the same major and work together.

I will be living on campus.  I was recently accepted into a "Leadership Community".  Just a bunch of kids getting to live in the same hall for a year and contributing to the community and the campus.

Sponsored Links