March 19, 2024, 03:53:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Huckel Theory -> Connection to the Kinetic Energy  (Read 6247 times)

Temple_of_Seth

Huckel Theory -> Connection to the Kinetic Energy
« on: March 28, 2005, 09:41:00 PM »
I've been asked to shed some light on Huckel Theory for some workers here at U. Queensland.  It's been a while since I seriously thought about Huckel theory, however.  I'm doing some reviewing.  I remember during my graduate school days hearing my advisor telling me sagely that the Huckel hamiltonian was based purely on the kinetic energy.  This seems to make sense, since the theory is definitely 'nodal' .  However, I'm having trouble connecting my intuitive understanding of how H is mostly KE in this theory with the math itself.  Does anyone know any references that I can read over that will make this clearer?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Huckel Theory -> Connection to the Kinetic Energy
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 08:53:55 PM »
Try "Physical Chemistry" and "Quantum Chemistry" by Donald A.McQuarrie. Both books are fantastic
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 08:55:23 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links