April 25, 2024, 09:07:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Enthalpy of neutralization  (Read 9593 times)

Offline brb725

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Enthalpy of neutralization
« on: April 15, 2008, 09:08:59 PM »
I have a question that has been bothering me, since I have a lab practical exam coming up in a few days.

My lab manual, as well as a few online resources that I've looked into, say that the ΔHneutralization = qneutralization / # moles of the limiting reactant. However, I know that when finding the ΔHreaction you have to convert the number of moles of the limiting reactant into moles of reaction.

So, what would I do if I had a reaction between sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide (H2SO4 + 2NaOH --> Na2SO4 + 2H2O) where NaOH was the limiting reactant. Would I simply find the number of moles of NaOH and divide the qneutralization by that value, or would I have to convert the number of moles of NaOH into moles of reaction (2 moles NaOH / 1 mole reaction)?

Thanks, I really appreciate any help.

Offline Valdorod

• Mole Snacks: +13/-5
    • El Paso Community College
Re: Enthalpy of neutralization
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 02:11:14 AM »
ΔHneutralization should be calculated on the moles of limiting reactant, however, at the end it is really based on the moles of water that you make.  The net ionic equation for all neutralization reactions is the formation of water.

H+ + OH-  ---->  H2O

So to be sure it is always better to divide by the moles of hydroxide or moles of hydrogen ion that reacted.

Valdo

Offline brb725

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 06:16:25 PM »
Let me see if I understand. Say that I react 25 mL of 0.10 M NaOH with 25  mL of 0.10 M H2SO4 and find that the qneutralization = -30 kJ (I'm completely making these numbers up, BTW). Since I would have 0.0025 moles of each,  H2SO4 would be my limiting reactant.

So, would I divide -30 kJ by 0.0025 moles, to find ΔHneutralization, or would I divide -30 kJ by 0.00125 moles (since there would be 1 mole of reaction for every 2 moles of H2SO4)?

Offline Valdorod

• Mole Snacks: +13/-5
    • El Paso Community College
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 06:42:33 PM »
25 mL of 0.10 M NaOH = 0.0025 mol OH-

25 mL of 0.10 M H2SO4  = 0.0050 mol H+

in this case NaOH is your limiting reagent and you divide -30 kJ by 0.0025 moles, to find ΔHneutralization.

Valdo

Offline brb725

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 06:47:37 PM »
I mean NaOH there  :) . But thank you so much, I definitely appreciate it.

If I were doing precipitation reaction, on the other hand, I would have to convert the number of moles of the limiting reactant into moles of reaction, correct? Or would I still just divide qreaction by the number of moles of the limiting reactant?

Sponsored Links