March 29, 2024, 01:30:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Magnesium Question  (Read 8770 times)

Sky Guy

Magnesium Question
« on: March 18, 2005, 04:04:24 PM »
Hey,
ok this might sounds like a really retarded question but thats alright. Is there any way to melt magnesium with out igniting it, and without getting it up to 922K to melt it? If not is there anyway i could possible combine it to make a little magnesium ball? Thanks for your time.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Re:Magnesium Question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 07:28:54 PM »
Best way to do it, is to flood the melting vessel with argon gas, and heat it from the outside, maintain a small constant flow of argon to counter the displacement of gas that will be produced by the heat.

Argon is sold by some online welding stores in small canisters, that are to be connected up to a suitable regulator to dispense the gas.

I have included a link to a source of argon, as it, at least for me, was hard to find to start with :)

http://www.welduk.com/Details.asp?ProductID=90 They sell both the small argon cylinders, and also the correct regulators to dispense the gas.

You might wish to email the company first, to see if there argon supply is admixed with nitrogen, as when ignited, Mg will burn in nitrogen to give the nitride Mg2N2.

The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

srchn4ansrs

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 07:32:28 PM »
Perhaps you could make up some magnesium oxide Mg (OH)2 and freese it in a round ice cube tray?   ;D Other than that... with a density of 1.73 It would take one hell of a metal press to shape it under normal (room) temps. I would have to say go with the milk of magnesia (magnesium oxide) idea.

Srchn

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 07:44:34 PM »
Srchn4ansrs, you gave the formula for magnesium hydroxide there, Mg(OH)2, which is used in milk of magnesia.

Magnesium oxide is MgO, a white dusty powder, that is mainly useful for moderating some thermite reactions, such as those used for creating reactive metals such as potassium or sodium (and no, a sodium thermite is not somethign you want to stand around :D)

Also, MgO is a refractory material, and can withstand near blast-furnace temperatures without decomposition.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Sky Guy

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 10:34:44 PM »
hmm...ok thanks for your help guys i appreciate it. The only thing about the ice ball of magnesium is the fact that i don't want it to melt...or will it? will it have the same effect? Ok this is basically the same question but are there any other chemicals that will give me a bright light when burn that I can make into ball form?

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 06:12:17 AM »
Not that this is very useful, but it might be possible to sinter the Mg in an inert atmosphere.  That would take some know-how and doing, though.  I would concur with the others that the easiest way is to heat in under an Ar atmosphere, let it melt, then cool it back down to RT.  You can accomplish this heating in a quartz vessel, as it will withstand the heat, but you won't be able to use normal glass or even pyrex.  It will melt.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 06:12:41 AM by hmx9123 »

srchn4ansrs

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 01:18:03 AM »
Sky,
I was only joking about the frozen milk of magnesia thing. Sorry... I didn't think anyone would take it serious. My bad! I see I have lost a scooby snack... perhaps for this trangression. I do apologize for misleading you. That was never my intent.

Srchn

hmm...ok thanks for your help guys i appreciate it. The only thing about the ice ball of magnesium is the fact that i don't want it to melt...or will it? will it have the same effect? Ok this is basically the same question but are there any other chemicals that will give me a bright light when burn that I can make into ball form?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 05:01:09 AM »
Actually the -1 was for making be delete your test post. ;)
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sky Guy

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 09:20:33 PM »
Dont worry about it srchn4ansrs, im still trying to figure some stuff out for what i'm trying to do, i really doubt i would have tried that anyways, but don't worry about it.

Demotivator

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 10:03:32 PM »
BTW nice name! makes me feel I can fly!  :D

srchn4ansrs

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 07:25:42 AM »
Mitch,
Sorry about that one... didn't notice the test board in my haste. Ahhh impatients in al it's frickin' glory!

Srchn

Actually the -1 was for making be delete your test post. ;)

Sponsored Links