March 28, 2024, 05:07:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: DNA electrophoresis  (Read 8658 times)

Offline 2810713

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
  • I'm a llama!
DNA electrophoresis
« on: March 09, 2005, 07:02:57 AM »
Hi all,  :D
  I have seen marks denoting the number of nucleotides along the gel which actually denote the molecular weight. But , do the polynucleotides with same number of nucleotides have same molecular wt.always? I think , they would not , as the proportions of A ,T ,G & C would not be the same always.Thus , they will get separated during electrophoresis . So, how can we have a common mark denoting the nucleotide number for such polynucleotides as they would be apart from each other . Can we have only sizewise separation of molecules in electrophoresis? If yes , then ,I think , such polynucleotides may have same mark as the size-difference between them seems to be lesser.

Please help..

hrushikesh

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:DNA electrophoresis
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 01:03:29 AM »
I've only seen it done by weight not by number of nucleotides.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline 2810713

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 04:49:57 AM »
  I am a junior college student and have seen it in our Bio. lab.
 only once, I've also , solved problems with such a diagrams.

hrushikesh

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 08:52:52 AM »
2810713:
junior college student? are u studying in singapore?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline 2810713

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 09:58:33 AM »
 @geodome

No, Bharat[ INDIA]

I think, U R in singapore???

hrushikesh

savoy7

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 11:12:33 PM »
Old school -

I haven't done Recombinant work in years (+ decade), so I don't know how they do it now.

In the past:

small pieces of DNA can be separated using polyacrylamide gels( 10 - 500 bases) - single strand
due to the small size of the pores, these can't separate large pieces of DNA

agarose gels then come into play - up to certain point (300 to 10 maybe 30000 bases),  extremely large pieces of DNA ( if memory serves me right 30000 to 2 million bases) needs a process called pulsed-field gel electrophoresis

Since DNA is negative and all of these gels have pores, etc - the DNA is separated by size (bases).  To determine the size, a standard is used.  One buys them - some DNA cut by a restriction enzyme like BamHI, EcoRI or TaqI.

We would know the sizes of the DNA pieces in the known.  We create a log plot off that data based on size (# of bases).  

then we could estimate the sizes of our sample DNA.

Problem - potentially 2 pieces of DNA could be the same size.  In protein land, we used to use a 2 dimensional gel, I wonder if they do that now to eliminate this problem.  

As for using weight, size does relate to weight - but purines and pyrimidines do have different weights - on a large piece of DNA that weight may not make much of a difference, but on a very small piece of DNA ( a couple of nucleotides) it does.

I apologize if this post is information you already know, I don't know your background on this material.

savoy

Offline 2810713

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 07:05:45 AM »
 I also, expected that but how to ba certain about it. The last part was useful- the difference is neglegible, also, in most cases one deals with DNA from one species , so there the
A+T/ G+C ration is constant so there is naturally there is further less difference bet. molec. wt.s .

thanks, I didn't know about pulsed feild gel electro phor.
 I will search now. thanks.

hrushikesh

Sponsored Links