March 29, 2024, 07:09:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: lab report sos  (Read 5210 times)

Offline aaa777

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
lab report sos
« on: April 20, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
hi. i'm having a hard time answering the following questions for my lab report. someone please help?

1. why must zinc dust be added gradually Copper Sulfate solution?
2. what is the purpose of testing copper that was previously submerged in zinc sulfate supernate with ammonia solution?
3. why is it important to add HCl to the precipitate (Cu) which was previously submerged in zinc sulfate supernate?
4. why is it not advisable to dry copper directly over the bunsen flame?

i'll be waiting for your response. thank you so much.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: lab report sos
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 10:01:24 AM »
hi. i'm having a hard time answering the following questions for my lab report. someone please help?

Well, without the whole experiment, it's hard to give a definitive answer, but we can give you some hints.  That said, we don't really need more info, because the real useful answer, has to come from you, and what you know, and observed.

1. why must zinc dust be added gradually Copper Sulfate solution?

Try and think about what happed in the experiment, and what could have gone wrong with too quick an addition.  This should be pretty intuitive -- why do we ever gradually add anything, instead of quickly dumping some in.  I'm talking about cooking here, or making a bowl of cereal, or sugaring your tea.

2. what is the purpose of testing copper that was previously submerged in zinc sulfate supernate with ammonia solution?

Try and look up some reactions that ammonia undergoes.  Look for copper and zinc, metal and ionic salts, specifically.

3. why is it important to add HCl to the precipitate (Cu) which was previously submerged in zinc sulfate supernate?

Really depends on the particular experiment.  But like all these questions, what's in your mind is more important than the absolutely "correct" answer.

4. why is it not advisable to dry copper directly over the bunsen flame?
Again, why do we avoid, in situations other than beginning chemistry labs, just putting things over open flame?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline aaa777

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 11:36:51 AM »
thanks for the time:) now that you gave me tips on what to research more about, i know where to start. thanks again.:)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 11:40:38 AM »
thanks for the time:) now that you gave me tips on what to research more about, i know where to start. thanks again.:)

There you go, sometimes when we see a big list of questions, we get flustered (I know I used to) and just don't know where to begin.  Picking things apart is always a good first step.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links