April 16, 2024, 09:48:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NEED help  (Read 3619 times)

Offline xzavour

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
NEED help
« on: April 21, 2008, 11:05:39 AM »
some friends and i have been trying to come up with a new type of paint grenade to dominate all other paint grenades. but we hit a snag we need to find a chemical reaction that isn't consedered a pyrotechnic and does not create a combustibal, toxic, or acidic substance... it needs to fill a core to the point of bursting and needs to have about a 3 second delay or a simple way to make it have a delay...if any such thing exsists i would love to know what it is so as to help my friends finish our "toy"

and thanks ahead for any *delete me*

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: NEED help
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
See, here's the problem -- anything that expands really quickly from a small amount and is sealed in a burst-able container is an explosive.  It might not be a registered pyrotechnic, but the hazard is still there.  Search these boards, people are always looking for insight, and we're limited in what we can say, for legal reasons.  I came up with a simple, non-pyrotechnic "bang" and it got erased by a Mod:
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 11:40:28 AM »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline xzavour

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 03:34:38 PM »
yeah my friends and i tryied the bakeing soda vin. trick by making the core like a hour glass with a pull string to unblock the hole so that they could react but after a few blew up in my face we discovered that it was to fast of a reaction. I've talked to my chemistry teacher and my physics and earth science teacher about this and they agreed but couldn't think of a way of replaceing the reactions with something else or how to slow it down. so i know the baking soda/vin. trick won't work i've had about 5 blow up on me from trying different ways to slow the reaction down. i'm hoping for something like the works/alum. foil trick but that doesn't create a toxic, cumbustible, or dangerously acidic product, but the speed of this reaction is great but again to dangerous. the simplest way is fire crackers but the SPPL(the paintball league i play in) does not alow pyrotechnics or open flames. and obviously the water balloon trick is no good either.... but thanks for the help and i hope that someone will be able to figure this out.

Sponsored Links