April 28, 2024, 11:54:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Extraction of Li from LiO  (Read 5600 times)

Mr. Pink

Extraction of Li from LiO
« on: March 31, 2005, 01:10:52 AM »
I know im new here, and please excuse the huge amount of topics. Anyways, my friend had a Li-Poly battery that burnt out, and he didnt want/need it anymore, so he agreed to give it to me, and i'd keep the Li for reasons that i would like to keep to myself ( i hope none of you are from the NRC :P). stupidly anough, he wanted to take out the sheets of Li himself. So, the next day at school, he gave me a bag of what looked like blackened tin foil. I sighed and brought home what i knew was next-to-useless Lithium Oxide. So, how do i get it away from the oxygen?

miaskows

Re:Extraction of Li from LiO
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 04:31:00 AM »
What you actually has, is not Li2O but complicated mixture of Li3N ;LiOH and Li2CO3

Elementary Li ,exposed to wet air undergoes following reactions:
2Li+2H2O=2LiOH+H2
2LiOH + CO2= Li2CO3 + H2O
6Li+ N2=2Li3N (Li-nitride)
Li3N+3H2O=3LiOH +NH3

Be carefull with the mix.

Recuperation of elementary Li from it's salts is almost impossible task under conditions avialable for high school  pupil:
1) Electrolysis of melted LiCl/KCl (t>500oC) in  inert atmosphere or high vacuum.
2) Heating up to 1000 oC of liquid Al with Li2O under high vacuum ( 0.1Pa !)
Please , don't  try any from the mentioned above methods! It is too dangerous.

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 07:33:13 AM »
lithium is so reactive that it does not occur in free form on earth. if u need to obtain lithium, apart from obtaining its pure form, instead try to find a way to react lithium with other compounds to form the lithium compound u need
one learns best by teaching

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 09:06:30 PM »
Personally as much fun as it would be to throw the Alkali metals into water, I would never want to mess around with them do to their reactivity.

Also I was wondering though do they sell the alkali metals in their elemental form. A search I mad last year yielded no results with a supplier of the elemental alkalis.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 09:15:56 AM »
Sadly they don't.  The pictures I have in my element collection are just artistic representations of what the pure alkali metals look like.   ;)

(Back to reality, of course they sell them as pure elements.  How else do you think schools and teachers get them?)  ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links