April 29, 2024, 01:07:14 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How stabilizer Cu(I) at acid pH?  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Miky-mr2

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How stabilizer Cu(I) at acid pH?
« on: April 26, 2008, 05:03:55 AM »
Hi, i'm Michele,
I'm new here and my english it's not very good, but the lenguage of chemistry is universal and easy to understand.
I need to find a legant that allows to stabilizer cupros ion Cu(I) in a copper (II) suplphate/ sulphuric acid solution in present of oxygen bubbling, pH about 0.
It's note that the simplest way, one of this legants may be chloride or bromide anion, but my reactor sistem is made in steel AISI 304: under my reaction condition, chlorine and probably bromide will do a bad work on steel because in present of oxigen the rate of corrosion wiil be high, and my plant is not happy for this! >:(
Another legant in my mind may be gluconate anion, but at pH 0 problably the ammount of associated (RCOOH) gluconic acid is very high and this fact is not good because the concentration of Cu(I) compound is inevitably low.
So, i'd like to ask you some idea to resolve my problem.  ???
Can you help me?

Michele

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
Re: How stabilizer Cu(I) at acid pH?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 06:46:22 PM »
The question you are asking is industry/plant operation oriented.  It is a question that is usually handled between the chemists and engineers running the reaction in/on a plant facility.

Either that or you are an Chem-E student trying to solve a problem that has been assigned.

I am not ignoring you question.  But, you have iven very little information to work with. In order to assist with a question such as this:

I need to find a legant that allows to stabilizer cupros ion Cu(I) in a copper (II) suplphate/ sulphuric acid solution in present of oxygen bubbling, pH about 0.

By legant from your description of chloride and bromide I am guessing you mean ligand.

chlorine and probably bromide will do a bad work on steel because in present of oxigen the rate of corrosion wiil be high, and my plant is not happy for this!  Another legant in my mind may be gluconate anion, but at pH 0 problably the ammount of associated (RCOOH) gluconic acid is very high and this fact is not good because the concentration of Cu(I) compound is inevitably low.

The problem you are having will require research and proably a few pilot trials. There is anoter section for Engineering on the forum and perhaps ther ois someone on that board who has experience with this an may be able to offer/suggest a solution.

Sponsored Links